NAVY Seal rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver69:
Since your "handle" is the friendly diminuitive form for "a member of the organs of the State apparatus" in Russian, I just said: "Good morning comrade (fellow apparatchnik)!"

Actually, the rebreather stuff came originally (at least in current form) from Draeger, circa 1909.

Rob :D

yeah i figured an "aparatchik" refered to a bureaucrat of some sort. :) i got it from a book about (can ya guess...?) navy seals...(red cell i think by dick marcinko)

spasiba tovarisch :D :D :D

A Dräger SCR course usually last 3 to 4 days, and is more involving than any O2 rebreather. The LAR V is a very simple piece of equipment, two short hoses and a DSV, one counterlung, one small tank with pure O2, the tank valve, the pressure gauge and the manual gas add button. It doesn't even have an overpressure relief valve to avoid surface detection.

The two major skills are packing the scrubber, leak checks and purging the loop and lungs of nitrogen. (Then) There is no deco involved, no O2 cells, electronics, calibration, flow meters etc ... you consume the gas in the bag and add when you drun low. Ascent is slow from a breathed down bag to avoid bubbles. Normal operating depth is 6 - 7 meters, with brief deep excursions for evacuations. With the enemy at the surface a sensible alternative.

The basic operating skills can be tought within a day I'm sure, and the divers get plenty of exposure in the water using the rebreather ... I wager they put more miles on their units during their training than any recreational diver.

mma, congratulations and godspeed.

aparatchiki:
h
and yet they breezed thru Open circuit and rebreathers in 9 weeks....ok ok, i've read the comments that one should get at least 500 dives or more (way more as said in the other thread...i think like 1000+ dives) before trying on CCRs...but how come these boys (yes boys they are...they have 17 year olds there on the documentary on training, mind you) go thru the whole she-bang in 9 weeks? now i dont think they could accumulate 500 dives in the short span of 9 weeks in OC (less than 9 weeks becuase halfway thru the dive phase they shift to CCRs) they can accumulate 500+ dives already.

*cheers*

Just because the military does it doesn't make it safe.

When the military base in Monterey CA was operational, I heard, on the aircraft approach frequencies, of a flight of 15 helocopters arriving under IFR conditions. Only one was talking to control and they each had only a single VOR reciever for navigation. Well below the minimum equipment that the civil avaition athorities consider safe.

The military regularely did (and still does) approaches that require dual VOR recievers or a VOR and ILS with just a single VOR reciever. The justification, I was told by a helo instructor, was that the insurance liability was much less for the military than for civilians. If they kill you, you probably can't sue them!!

ba_hiker:
Just because the military does it doesn't make it safe.

The military takes safety very seriously. The equipment and methodology is well proven and tested, even more so than in the civilian arena. Having said that, you can't train to kill people and break things by sitting safely on the couch. It is dangerous training for a dangerous mission.

ba_hiker:
When the military base in Monterey CA was operational, I heard, on the aircraft approach frequencies, of a flight of 15 helocopters arriving under IFR conditions. Only one was talking to control and they each had only a single VOR reciever for navigation. Well below the minimum equipment that the civil avaition athorities consider safe.

The military regularely did (and still does) approaches that require dual VOR recievers or a VOR and ILS with just a single VOR reciever. The justification, I was told by a helo instructor, was that the insurance liability was much less for the military than for civilians. If they kill you, you probably can't sue them!!

Nor would it go well for this country if every Cindy Shehan out there could sue for the tragic loss of a son. There is no liability insurance. The best insurance is training and proper equipment.

I met a guy at the local honda dealer who had just gotten out of seals. Trimix trained, rebreather too, 35 dives. Frankly, he didn't have a clue, about diving or selling cars. He asked me if my reg vibrates to let me know when I'm about to run out of air, not sure what to make of that.

regards
rob

ps my prism shipped today, a scant 15 mos. after ordering it. woohoo!

С Новым годом ребяты, Я надеюсь увидеть вас под водой в 2006

Glad you are getting your Prism, Rob. It is a good unit!

С Новым годом к всем камрадам будут членами органов положения

My impression of BUDs training is that "you do it now or leave". Probably not a lot of time to think up tough questions and try to figure how things work. I imagine that when you are in the middle of that sh$% storm of training your head is spinning and you are just trying to get what ever your task is at hand over with.

I could be wrong!

robinfante:
I met a guy at the local honda dealer who had just gotten out of seals. Trimix trained, rebreather too, 35 dives. Frankly, he didn't have a clue, about diving or selling cars. He asked me if my reg vibrates to let me know when I'm about to run out of air, not sure what to make of that.

regards
rob

Your story sounds like the guy you met was some kind of poser. Alot of people claim to be exSeals. In my experience the SEALS/exSEALS that I have met didn't go around bragging about it.

A good test if somebody claims they are/were a SEAL is to ask them what class they graduated with and what kind of underwear they wear. If they hesitate on what class they graduated with then you know their BSing. If they are caught off guard by the underwear question then you know its BS as well. Seals dont wear underwear.

robinfante:

regards
rob

Maybe because he is a "wannabe"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom