Navigation Board - homemade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I got a chance to dive it today and I love the thing!

Turned out to be pretty darn useful as we were dealing with no lie 2 feet of vis. And I was able to navigate perfectly

Regarding the size, I initially thought it was kinda small myself....however since getting some dives on it in really like the size.....its not bulky and in the way, and it allows for an easy 1 hand grip.....but allows for a 2 hand grip without feeling awkward or cramped.....I don't think scaling it up slightly would be any detriment...I would make a cardboard template and adjust the size to whatever is comfy.

I also like the lanyard holes, they were a last minute addition....I think on subsequent models I will open up the holes slightly so they will fit a bolt snap or carbiner......but they fit most standard retractors and para cord easily.

Regarding the cover....shoot me a pm and we can talk specifics....ill have to check the print cost again, but I think it'll probably be on the order of $40-50 +shipping
I am not sure how to do a PM can you email me? vjb.knife1 and that is at gmail dot com.

So apparently the Brunton 70P is slowly becoming unobtanium....so im designing a new board around the Ritchie F-83

currently thinking of going in a more streamlined direction...although i do like having provisions for a watch and compass....thoughts?

GqWYA64.png

although i do like having provisions for a watch and compass....thoughts?

If one is going to go through the trouble of making/using a navigation board, having a watch and a depth gauge or computer on his dashboard* is definitely worth considering. If you'e dead reckoning for any considerable distance looking away from the compass while swimming will cause small errors, and these errors accumulate.

*Pardon the use of the worn out term.

The Brunton 70P is no longer made but Silva is owned by Brunton and the same article is made as the Silva 70P. I have one of each, and they are identical. They are less expensive than the Ritchie model and every bit as nice. I also think they are easier to mount.

So apparently the Brunton 70P is slowly becoming unobtanium....so im designing a new board around the Ritchie F-83

currently thinking of going in a more streamlined direction...although i do like having provisions for a watch and compass....thoughts?

View attachment 625130

I like the design but you could easily put mounting area or slots for a wrist mounted depth gauge and computer on this model.

If you'e dead reckoning for any considerable distance looking away from the compass while swimming will cause small errors, and these errors accumulate.

*Pardon the use of the worn out term.

Of course this is true, just as it is for a wrist compass, and most divers will not have a need for a nav board. The point is that compared to a wrist mounted compass the board is far more accurate to use for certain activities, like longer range navigation (especially when you can not see the seafloor or it has no distinguishing features) or setting for up a search grids of various types.

The Brunton 70P is no longer made but Silva is owned by Brunton and the same article is made as the Silva 70P. I have one of each, and they are identical. They are less expensive than the Ritchie model and every bit as nice. I also think they are easier to mount.
Awesome!

just did a search for Silva and found them no problem.....i knew they were also sold under the name NEXUS and i tried searching for that and had not much luck.....but i really like the 70p, its a nice thin, affordable compass.

Those boards are looking very cool. I see you got the Silva version of the compass, which I also bought for the second board using your basic design. I am working pretty slowly on this project, but I have made some progress. I took your drawing and enlarged it to 110% of original and placed a hole for the depth gauge above the compass. I am not exactly sure how I want to place the slots for the dive computer and / or watch. So here is a picture from last week when I was working on it. No CNC here so the router and hole saw take a little longer.

initial%20cut%20out-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom