Navigation Board - homemade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking more David Bowie a la Labyrinth. Jared, the Goblin King. Hot.

Right, right…with the Phyllis Diller hairdo, I remember that.

I've been following this one closely for the past few days (as well as when it first posted a few years ago).

During the month of July (2022) I am doing a series of long distance navigation dives that will equal 15 miles. All of this is for the American Cancer Society's 15 mile swim, except I am doing mine on scuba in 3" to 5' vis in three locations here in Idaho.

I did take a shot at building one from a cutting board with a drill and handheld jigsaw but its proven to be useless at best with hitting precise points I am nagigating to.

Quickly working to make my own again with time to still train. If anyone has a board for sale please IM me.

So while out doing a training run and to see how long it would take me to do a half mile underwater my buddy texts me and tells me to come by and pick this up to test. He even put my logo on it

First prototype. Still looking for a source on the P70 compass....everyone seems to be outside the US, even amazon and ebay are coming up dry. Went to local boat store and they chuckled at that kind of compass. Mares puck will get replaced with analog depth gauge from XS Scuba
Proto Type 1a.jpeg
prototype 1 b.jpeg

Wow. Nice friend. That's sexy.

yeah for some reason the 70P compasses all of a sudden got really hard to find...and ive been struggling to find a good replacement for them.

that board looks great btw! whats the material? looks like PVC?

IMO, a larger diameter liquid filled boat compass with a internal gimbal is dramatically easier to maintain an accurate course on a board than a diver's wrist compass or computer.

It takes a LOT of practice for most divers to learn how to swim a straight line. A board helps by making it easier to maintain alignment with the lubber line but that doesn't make up for our natural asymmetric leg strength. US Navy SEALs spend an enormous amount of time swimming compass courses to refine their skills.

I stumbled across this on the Aqua Lung military products Website while looking for something else.

1655648307660.png

The handles seem sort of wimpy but I'm guessing that they are shooting for minimum weight. It looks like the frame is CNC machined aluminum with a Ritchie compass.

at one time they were using the 70P for their argonaut board.....

1655681070994.jpeg

im guessing they were having a hard time getting them as well, and changed the design to the Ritchie

at one time they were using the 70P for their argonaut board.....

View attachment 729295

im guessing they were having a hard time getting them as well, and changed the design to the Ritchie
  • Richie TAC-200-2 OR Brunton 70P Compass option
They give options for both

I don't remember the cost but it is very high. I also prefer the frame being made of plastic rather than Aluminum. Starboard Poly or UHMW is bettter in this application, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom