Navigation Board - homemade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How thick is it and how much does it weigh?

3/8" 6061 aluminum

chassis its self weighs 0.47lbs

i was debating between 3/8" and 1/4".......i opted to have this made a little thicker because i can always mill it down if i dont like it.

I think thicker is better just because it will grip better. It will feel better in the hand. 1/4" is too small.

Got the print finished and did a test fit , seems to be a good size..... need to order a compass and see how it mounts up, need to make some minor adjustments but I think this is going to turn out nicely

View attachment 564719

Can you post some approximate overall dimensions of your board? I just got a couple square feet of 1/2" thick black marine grade uhmw starboard that I plan to cut with a router. The one that I have works very well but it is a bit bulky. I think this trimmer design is nice.

have some updates on the nav board.

finally had time to get the mounting holes drilled and have it media tumbled.....looking pretty good!
1YPEbci.jpg

K4VFZ8l.jpg

need to update the rear cover to accept thread inserts.....should have a new rear cover tomorrow and then itll be read for the water.

LGMsECy.jpg

going to eventually send it out for Hardcoat.....but i think itll survive a few splashes in the lake unharmed.

Can you post some approximate overall dimensions of your board? I just got a couple square feet of 1/2" thick black marine grade uhmw starboard that I plan to cut with a router. The one that I have works very well but it is a bit bulky. I think this trimmer design is nice.
can do, i can create a 1-1 scale drawing, and all youd have to do is print it out and cut with a saw if that would be easier?

Looks great! What did you make the back cover for the compass out of? You may want to put a drain hole in it if there isn't one already. Thanks for the pdf that is very nice of you.

I think you will be impressed with how well it does navigating a compass heading. Best of luck.

Looks great! What did you make the back cover for the compass out of? You may want to put a drain hole in it if there isn't one already. Thanks for the pdf that is very nice of you.

I think you will be impressed with how well it does navigating a compass heading. Best of luck.
The back cover is 3d printed out of Vero Black....which is basically a photopolymer.....and I have a small drain hole on the bottom, might open it up a little larger though

That back cover is very nice. If you can possibly make another I would be glad to purchase it from you. I ordered some tritium tubes to mount to the board somehow to permanently light the compass up and a depth gauge module to permanently mount as well. I see you have the Suunto Zoop Novo Computer. I have taken mine out on about a dozen boat dives and it works great and does everything I need it to do for a nice price.

Check this stuff out.
When you're serious you've just gotta do it

Wow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom