Navigating in Darkness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Your compass is on your left arm. Your light is in your left hand.

How do you read the compass in the dark?

I've heard that you can also turn-on one of your back up lights in place and use the abient light from it to read the compass. Haven't tried it yet.

Hold your light on there to activate the "glow-in-the-dark" then proceed as normal... there's a lot of light spilling over from the lighthead anyway....

I've had to adjust just a little bit in the start and now it's a non-issue... Now if you don't have "a" primary or backups during a night dive now that's another issue:11:

I am about to briefly rant here.....

Ok, by no means am I GUE expert. I am a simple tech diver with a fundies cert, but I have this thing I do called thinking. What I learned about the GUE(DIR) system is simple: standardized gear config, standardized placement and standardized drills. All of that makes sense, but none of it is useful if YOU DON"T THINK! Its not a big stretch to realize that your light can be removed from your left hand so that you can illuminate your compass and take a heading.

Blitz:
Its not a big stretch to realize that your light can be removed from your left hand so that you can illuminate your compass and take a heading.

Wow, that's much easier than removing the compass! Thanks! :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom