Navarre Beach State Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know the folks that did the design work and are doing the permitting through the JCP program at FDEP. I'll try and post an update later today as to what's going to happen with the old pier.

Did not get much information. According to her, there are a lot of different options/interests as to what to do with the old pier. I'll update when I hear something new.

It was in the local paper that they have planned to open the park by the end of June. We'll see if that happens...

One thing is for certain, Navarre could be a premier dive destination similar to Destin and Pensacola with just some spit and polish. When the new pier is constructed if the old rubble is used as an artifical reef for divers then it would make for a real nice and easy dive location, especially if the new pier is a couple hundered feet away from where they put the rubble. Secondly if the Navarre Pass is ever opened again, just think of the opportunities to get to some real nice wrecks a lot quicker. The Brass Wreck and Russian Freighter could be about 10 miles from the pass..... wow!!!

I have dove around the pier a few times lately and there is not much reveal left from the bridge debris (Which is about 50 yards to the West of the hole), but some octopus and Rays are usually around it.

Hi my name is stormey and i am headed to navarre beach in may of 09 and was wondering what the diving is like and if there are any OLD WREAK to dive and what the closest dive shop is.
thank you
stormey

Patience. It's Super Bowl Sunday and many have headed out for parties.

First, are you talking about beach diving or boat diving? From a boat, there are many dozens of wreck sites to dive. There are a few dived by charters in Destin but most of them are in the Pensacola area. There are also some off Panama City but that's a few hours away. From the beach, I know of no wrecks in the area. There are a few small wrecks off Gulf Shores but the sandbars have mostly covered them up right now.

But there are some good beach dives along jetties and piers where you can find plenty of marine life. Navarre Beach pier is a nice shallow dive where you often find rays, octopi, and many other reef fish. Destin jetties is also a favorite spot. In May, water temps should be low to mid 70's.

Navarre Beach is a nice place to stay (scenic, less crowded, cheaper) and centrally located between Destin and Pensacola, each within 30 minutes. Unfortunately, I think you will have to go to one or the other for dive shops.

Since the thread has been revived, I found out the Navarre Beach State Park opened last October, although the new pier has not been started and this wouldn't seem to offer any additional diving opportunities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom