Nautilus Lifeline radios no longer eligible for MMSI registration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A vessel gets only one station license license for all of its radios. Spree's is WDA7434. Each station is required to have one station operator. I have such a license. We have INMARSAT, HF, MF, VHF, Navtex, and AIS. A vessel is assigned one MMSI for all radios. I have a fast rescue boat, it has it's own station license, it's own MMSI, and it has VHF and AIS. The fast rescue boat is carried on the Spree, so when I first got it, I used the Spree's MMSI. I received a email from the radio police telling me I had to register the FRB as it's own vessel, even if it was carried on the big boat, the radio was used when it was an independent vessel.

A vessel gets only one station license license for all of its radios. Spree's is WDA7434. Each station is required to have one station operator. I have such a license. We have INMARSAT, HF, MF, VHF, Navtex, and AIS. A vessel is assigned one MMSI for all radios. I have a fast rescue boat, it has it's own station license, it's own MMSI, and it has VHF and AIS. The fast rescue boat is carried on the Spree, so when I first got it, I used the Spree's MMSI. I received a email from the radio police telling me I had to register the FRB as it's own vessel, even if it was carried on the big boat, the radio was used when it was an independent vessel.

So if you get a DSC call for your boat which radio responds?

I of course agree that an unknown distress call with GPS is WAY better than float and wait, but I also worry about an accidental activation. Without the contact info, no one can call you.

So if you get a DSC call for your boat which radio responds?

I have never made or received a DSC call. I don't know anyone who uses the radio in that fashion. If you want to call someone, most folks just use INMARSAT. Or the radio on an open frequency like 16.

But if someone wanted to DSC call me, they would use whichever boat's MMSI they wanted to speak to, either the FRB (radio is off most of the time) or the Spree. Both MMSI are broadcast on the AIS.

I asked Nautilus if there was a way to register a Lifeline MMSI internationally for use diving in various places. I think they have given up on the discussion or have no answers. The answer I got was "you would need to contact the FCC directly for inquiries about an international MMSI number."

I guess that means, hey, it might be illegal, but someone ought to come pick you up anyway?

If you follow these three steps and truly believe your in a live threatening situation I can't believe you will be arrested anywhere in the world. Non emergency chatting on channel 16 (basically using it as a common channel) or using the Red distress button when no emergency exists should get you in trouble anywhere.

Divers should be instructed on the simple operation of the lifeline. Which with latest update 1.02 is a huge improvement.

First step ........Use the green button to communicate with dive boat. Read GPS coordinates during broadcast.
If no response., see next step.

Second step.... Use orange button which should be set to the emergency channel 16 that should be monitored by all boats. Say, Diver to call sign of your dive boat. Read GPS coordinates during broadcast. Your boat will probably respond asking which channel your green button is set to and proceed accordingly clearing channel 16. If no respond, ask for any boat assistance.
If no response., see next step.

Last resort.......Use the red button that will broadcast a digital message with MMSI and GPS coordinates. Which will travel much further than a voice transmission. Similar to a text massage needing one bar versus a cell call which needs a stronger signal. At this point, the Nautilus will broadcast distress message at a set interval. I would clip it to one end of my SMB to get as high as possible as I float waiting for help. I couldn't imagine spending an extended amount of time with my arm raised out of the water.

YMMV

The text message analogy is a good one. But if I can't tell my customers who spend $300 for one of these how to get an MMSI I am going to send my stock back to the manufacturer for a refund because it doesn't work as advertised. I would think that the US market is big enough that the company would be on this like flies on roadkill. But it seems like they are in duck and cover mode when they should be in full PR and damage control mode. For now, I am pulling mine off the shelf.

the Nautilus Lifeline is a good product and a good idea but our government is so bloated with bureaucracy it will never get this straightened out before it cripples the company. Damn shame.

They already addressed it. They are using someone else.

See here: Nautilus Lifeline Support MMSI

MMSI IN USA

1. Visit: www.usps.org/php/mmsi/home.php
  2. Click “Login/Register”
  3. Register with a new account if you do not already have one
  4. Click “Add MMSI”
  5. Fill out the required fields as follows:
    1. Vessel Name: n/a
    2. Radio Call Sign: None
    3. Vessel Wireless Number 1: Your phone number
    4. Vessel Flag State: n/a
    5. Ship Classification: Unspecified
  6. Scroll down to the bottom and save the registration.

I'm still taking my Lifeline when I go travel. And just in case there is nobody in range of the radio, we all have a PLB. The "true" nuclear -send in the cavalry- option!

They already addressed it. They are using someone else.

See here: Nautilus Lifeline Support MMSI

MMSI IN USA

1. Visit: www.usps.org/php/mmsi/home.php
  2. Click “Login/Register”
  3. Register with a new account if you do not already have one
  4. Click “Add MMSI”
  5. Fill out the required fields as follows:
    1. Vessel Name: n/a
    2. Radio Call Sign: None
    3. Vessel Wireless Number 1: Your phone number
    4. Vessel Flag State: n/a
    5. Ship Classification: Unspecified
  6. Scroll down to the bottom and save the registration.

THIS Worked for me an my customers. I have not pushed the red button so I don't know what will show up on any coast guard or other ship's gear but I have a meeting scheduled with the local Coast Guard Auxiliary to see if we can test it on their new radios. Stay Tuned.

THIS Worked for me an my customers. I have not pushed the red button so I don't know what will show up on any coast guard or other ship's gear but I have a meeting scheduled with the local Coast Guard Auxiliary to see if we can test it on their new radios. Stay Tuned.

I would like know what they actually receive as well. Take picture.

Also be sure to help your customers update to the latest firmware if they are not computer savy. Major improvements in menu navigation and now it beeps when you push a button. The beep is huge because in the past I wasn't sure how hard I had to press the button. It turns out not hard at all. I don't want to prematurely wear out the button. This means less calls to you for support.

If you haven't already give the manual a good read.

Especially on channel selection for communication between lifelines (Simplex vs Duplex channels). I like the WX weather feature and limited texting. It texts your current channel to a user programmable MMSI number that you program and allows them to switch to it with a push of a button.

I really like how they continually improve and add features to this wonderful device that I hope I will never need in a distress situation. But will be relieved I have it when I do.

This goes with me on every boat dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom