Nautilus Lifeline radios no longer eligible for MMSI registration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got an email from BoatUS today:

MMSI@BoatUS.com
800-563-1536
Dear BoatUS MMSI Registrant #REMOVED:

Please take a moment to log in, review and update the MMSI Registration for your Portable Dive Radio!

Please be aware that due to changes in our agreement with the Coast Guard and FCC, BoatUS will not be issuing new MMSIs for Nautilus Dive radios. BoatUS is authorized to provide MMSIs for radios aboard vessels that are not required to carry a VHF under FCC regulations and that will communicate only with U.S. stations. Dive radios do not qualify because they are not associated with any vessel and generally purchased to be used internationally.

Your existing Dive Radio MMSI registration will not be affected by this change. It will remain in force in the BoatUS and Coast Guard database, and must continue to accurately reflect your current information:
•Address and phone numbers
•Emergency contacts ashore
•Identifying characteristics of boat (length, hull type, color or things that may differentiate it from vessels nearby)
1.If you no longer own the registered dive radio, please login and cancel your MMSI account.
2.If you will be using the radio in International waters, please be aware that the registration is not in the International ITU Search and Rescue Database and would not be accessible to international search and rescue authorities. It resides in the U.S. Coast Guard Database.

To View or Edit your registration go to BoatUS.com/MMSI and login. If you do not have your MMSI login and password, retrieve them from the database at: BoatUS.com/MMSI/Main.asp?Action=EmailPassword

BoatUS provides MMSI registration, in accordance with guidelines from the Federal Communications Commission and the U.S. Coast Guard, as a service to the boating community.

With more than 500,000 members, BoatUS is the nation's leading advocate for recreational boaters. Join us at BoatUS.com.
PLEASE NOTE: This email was sent to REMOVED.
If you prefer not to receive BoatUS MMSI emails, REMOVED to be removed.
If you do not want to receive ANY emails from BoatUS, .
Email Membership@BoatUS.com with any questions or comments.

BoatUS 880 S Pickett St Alexandria VA 22304-4606
©2015, Boat Owners Association of The United States. All Rights Reserved.
t

Any comments from Nautilus? Obviously I'm going to be grandfathered based on this email. The panic button is kind of a major feature on the lifeline and it won't even function if you don't input an MMSI number into the radio's configuration.

I just tried to update information, as requested by BoatUS and they will not allow any updates because it is a "Dive Radio".

So I am not sure they will continue to be supported since BoatUS will probably be removing me/us from the system since we did not update our information.

Interesting. I looked at mine but didn't have any changes to make.

following

I checked on my MMSi registration. Everything looks good. But I did notice the new criteria below.

MMSI Registration - Maritime Mobile Service Identity - BoatUS

Registration Criteria
BoatUS has been authorized by both the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S. Coast Guard to assign MMSI numbers only to vessels that meet the following criteria:

• Used for recreation only
  • Not required by law to carry a radio
  • Do not make international voyages or communications
[h=5]Do NOT Register with BoatUS MMSI if:[/h]
  • your vessel is required to carry a radio onboard (“Compulsory Equipped&#8221:wink:
  • you plan to visit or communicate in a foreign port including Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and the British Virgin Islands
If either of the above conditions apply, you are legally required to obtain a Ship Station License from the FCC. They will issue an appropriate MMSI with the License.
NOTE: when traveling to foreign ports, you are required to have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit holder aboard.

---------- Post added March 12th, 2015 at 06:02 PM ----------

I found this page from Nautilus.

MMSI in USA

Technically, as a Boating organization, our MMSI registration database was created for Fixed Mount VHF’s on board recreational vessels cruising in U.S. waters only. The MMSI numbers themselves are coded as such. However, with the influx of VHF Handhelds that have hit the market, we have made accommodations for those to be registered as well, since they were also to be used in connection with boating.

Now the technology has expanded to non-boating related VHF Portables which also require an MMSI, yet there has not been an entity created to register them for an MMSI coded to signal this type of use. We are discussing this issue with the Coast Guard and FCC, but in the meantime, since Boat U.S. appears to be the only potential source for an MMSI for this type of VHF, here is what you can do:

Go ahead and obtain your MMSI through the Boat U.S. database at MMSI Registration - Maritime Mobile Service Identity - BoatUS but when you get to the second page of the application complete the required fields as follows:
Visit: http://www.boatus.com/mmsi
Boat Type: XXX-Unspecified
Registration or Documentation #: None
Home Port: Area where you are most likely to be diving
Capacity: 1 (or more if you regularly dive with someone)
Radio Installation Type: Portable VHF/DSC/GPS
Remarks: This is a portable VHF for Scuba Diving and not associated with a particular boat. It will be used in [these] areas.
You will be able to login and update the registration at any point to include current locations should they change periodically.

I emailed BoatUS and asked how I can get registered in the International database, since that is where I am most likely to need the Lifeline.
Their response:
"Unfortunately there is no U.S. or Foreign agency that can currently issue an MMSI for International use with a Dive radio. Marine MMSI are coded for vessels licensed by rule and are not authorized for use in a radio that is not vessel related. Dive radios with DSC came into the market requiring an MMSI without the manufacturer having followed the proper course to make sure there was a source for those MMSI to be assigned. Unfortunately it will be up to the dive radio manufacturers to follow-up with the proper authorities to initiate and create an appropriately designated MMSI for this type of radio. Until that happens, there is not much that can be done.

BoatU.S. originally offered a solution for Dive radios being used in U.S. waters only, but we have found that the majority of these radios are in fact being used internationally; therefore we can no longer offer this option. Keep in mind the radio will work and the DSC feature is enabled with its existing MMSI, the problem is that while you are in international waters, any search and rescue will not be able to look you up in the ITU database and they will be looking for a boat, not an individual diver. You will still be able to contact whatever vessel you are diving from so long as the vessel has DSC and it has been enabled."

i guess we can wait and see what Nautilus works out......

[Added later]

I emailed BoatUS back and asked if it made a difference that I actually hold a commercial radio license, which includes authorization to use the Marine VHF band on any U.S.-flagged vessel. The response: "Unfortunately no agency is authorized to issue an MMSI for this equipment, regardless of qualifications or any license that may be held. If used in U.S. waters only, the Coast Guard is aware of the Dive radio issue and will respond to a distress signal."

I do hope Nautilus sorts this out.....U.S waters/U.S. boats/U.S. Coast Guard is NOT why I bought the Lifeline!

Last edited:
Just saw this after posting on the bricked thread. I got the same email. I contacted Lifeline and they said 'Don't worry about it' as your alarm will still work and send your GPS. I found that troubling as they would have no access to my information. And what if it malfunctioned and started alerting? How would they get ahold of you?

The Coast Guard will still respond to a DSC alarm, whether its registered or not. The alarm is an accepted signal of distress and it will be treated as such.

The Coast Guard will still respond to a DSC alarm, whether its registered or not. The alarm is an accepted signal of distress and it will be treated as such.

If you don't configure your lifeline with an MMSI the red "emergency" DSC button will not function. I'm disappointed Nautilus hasn't posted here or on their website with some kind of statement.

Maybe simply enabling emergency distress mode without MMSI data would work. Firmware update, and I wonder what exactly the radio would transmit.. maybe SSN?

Just checked that my registration with "BoatUS MMSI Administration" in US is still valid.
What does mean restriction above ?
My Nautilus will continue work (include red button) in US only ?
I can't request new MMSI any more to register a second device?
I just going to sell my device and will buy new one (long story why). Will I be able to transfer my existing MMSI to new device ?

Back
Top Bottom