Nautieye NE23 12K lumen video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Now for a review of my favorite video light, the Nautieye NE23 12K lumen COB video light. I purchased one of these a few months go and paired it up with a 10K Scubalamp PV102 light I had. That did not work out well as I hoped because the color temperatures were different. I tried correcting it with a CT straw gel but I could clearly see the difference in the lights. I decided to go buy another NE23 to match my lighting up. I did a video review here:

The manual states a run time of approximately 60 min. I ran a burn test in a bucket and I got 1 hour and 15 seconds, so the published time is accurate. This is a constant rate burning light but within the last 5-10 minutes of run time falloff began to occur, so on full power working time is roughly 50-55 mins. The manual does not publish a low power run time. This light steps down in increments of 20%, and on the last click down to 8% before rotating back to 100% output. While I am sure that step down is not totally linear I will make the assumption that it is close, and low power is just under a 1000 lumen video light. I got 31 hours and 18 mins at the low power setting. Most people would be running at high power but if you are shooting in macro or a combination of macro and wide you can probably squeeze two dives out of a single charge. The battery pack is 6800Mah built from 8 18650 batteries. It took 3 hours and 7 mins for a full charge from empty with the provided charger.

I compared some pictures of the beam spread and light output with the only other high power video light here.
100%
NE23 100.JPG

80%
NE23 80.JPG

60%
NE23 60.JPG

40%
NE23 40.JPG

20%
NE23 20.JPG

8%
NE23 8.JPG

I also did a few comparison shots between the NE23 on left and my PV102 Scubalamp 10K light on right
At high power you can clearly see the color temperature difference. The NE23 has a much nicer color rendering.
NE23 PV102.JPG

Then at low power but the low on the NE23 is 8% and I think the low in the PV102 is 25%
NE23 low  PV102 low.JPG

I have a picture of two NE23's at 36 inches apart to show the light spread when working two on a rig with arms extended:
2NE23 36 apart.JPG

Then I spread the lights out to the ends of the board which would be about 6 feet apart.
2 NE23 x apart.JPG

These things are not exactly light at 950g out of the water and 480g in the water. I have my rig pretty close to neutral and I find them no more bulky than diving with two strobes, but out of the water it is cumbersome due to the weight. I have found that the front edge can get a bit scuffed when setting them down on hard surfaces like the edge of a pool, or boat with grit texture on the floor. I have taken to using some of my daughters rubber bracelets which fit perfectly over the edge to provide a bumper.

To sum up the pros and cons I see for this light:

Pros:
  • High output
  • High CRI
  • Ample running time
  • Easy to use
  • Battery TSA freindly
  • YS and Ball mounts
  • The barrel mounting sleeve can be rotated to place the buttons on the inside individually on each light letting you easily reach them.

Cons:
  • Bulky, but then so are most lights of this category
  • Beam angle could be slightly narrower to concentrate lighting power

I liked this initial light purchase so much that I bought several other products to evaluate and worked out discounted pricing with Nautieye. The retail price for this video light is 799. I can offer is at a price of 690 and buyer pays shipping. If there is enough interest in this light I can place an order. If anyone has any questions I did not answer please feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom