Naui won’t send replacement card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may be a dumb question: OP is on a Caribbean cruise. If the OP could convince one of the Caribbean port dive shops (giving them his cert. number, instructor info, etc.) to give him a Nitrox class, and then he got his Nitrox cert card that same day, do you think most dive shops would let him dive if he presented the Nitrox card and said he didn't have his other cert card with him?
Theoretically possible, but no guarantees. Even if successful, no guarantees the next place won't want to see another card in addition to Nitrox. I'll also point out that if one can get a dive op to run a Nitrox course based on an undocumented verbal description of a lost certification, that dive op will also be down for letting one dive with them.

Last year I scanned all my cards, front and back, just in case. I've got copies on both my home and work computers, and both hard drives are backed up off-site.

My 1985 YMCA OW cert is the most worrisome. My 2001 AOW card is NAUI and IIRC doesn't have my number on it, just the instructor number.
I also scanned all my cards. Home PC, phone and cloud. Not so much as backup, but as insurance at dive spot, if I happen to forget my cards at home.

I also scanned all my cards. Home PC, phone and cloud. Not so much as backup, but as insurance at dive spot, if I happen to forget my cards at home.
Good point. I have electronic versions of my PADI cards (everything except OW and AOW) so I don't have to worry about the scanned versions being on my phone.

Likewise - I have the physical (PADI) cards with me when on diving trips (in my wallet) but always have scanned copies available. That way should the worst happen, I can at least provide my number, date and instructor in order to get replacements.

I don't see the point of paying extra for E-cards when I can generate my own "E" version

Likewise - I have the physical (PADI) cards with me when on diving trips (in my wallet) but always have scanned copies available. That way should the worst happen, I can at least provide my number, date and instructor in order to get replacements.

I don't see the point of paying extra for E-cards when I can generate my own "E" version
I always thought that the ecards should be free or cost only a token donation to a charity ...

Like I said, I'm not doing it for a backup as such. Since I'm in CMAS, my cards are issued by national federation. All I need is to call my instructor and pay a fee. I believe he has a card printer at his home and some empty cards as a reserve,so....

@Discusdoc
posted

"I received my scuba certificate in 1973 through a NAUI course taught at San Jose State University. I have dived at least once a year since then, including many week-long trips to Cozumel, Club Med (Mexico and Tahiti), Belize, Cancun, Hawaii, and Townsville. I also wrote a chapter on hyperbaric physiology (in Brooks et al Exercise Physiology). I lost my card and NAUI refuses to send a new card because they can’t find the record, even though I sent them my card number and instructor. I’m on a Caribbean cruise but am unable to dive without the card.

I’m completely retired and want to dive more. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could get recertified rapidly? My email is discusdoc@aol.com or tfahey@csuchico.edu. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday I had a discussion with NAUI- one subject was card replacement
You can obtain a replacement by
1) calling NAUI
2) stating
~~~ your instructor's name
~~~ location of course
~~~ tine frame of course
3) pay a small fee

I would suggest that you personally ask for Cathy Cush

Good luck
Sam Miller, 111
NAUI instructor A-27
Retired NAUI instructor # 2

@Discusdoc
posted

"I received my scuba certificate in 1973 through a NAUI course taught at San Jose State University. I have dived at least once a year since then, including many week-long trips to Cozumel, Club Med (Mexico and Tahiti), Belize, Cancun, Hawaii, and Townsville. I also wrote a chapter on hyperbaric physiology (in Brooks et al Exercise Physiology). I lost my card and NAUI refuses to send a new card because they can’t find the record, even though I sent them my card number and instructor. I’m on a Caribbean cruise but am unable to dive without the card.

I’m completely retired and want to dive more. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could get recertified rapidly? My email is discusdoc@aol.com or tfahey@csuchico.edu. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday I had a discussion with NAUI- one subject was card replacement
You can obtain a replacement by
1) calling NAUI
2) stating
~~~ your instructor's name
~~~ location of course
~~~ tine frame of course
3) pay a small fee

I would suggest that you personally ask for Cathy Cush

Good luck
Sam Miller, 111
NAUI instructor A-27
Retired NAUI instructor # 2
Good idea. Also, the phone number for NAUI is:

800-553-6284 Toll-Free
813-628-6284 Voice

Physical Address:
9030 Camden Field Parkway
Riverview, FL 33578 USA

@Discusdoc hasn't been on scubaboard since last Friday when he posted the question. I doubt he would have been able to get it sorted out while on the cruise anyway.

The only short term option I could think of is to do a discover scuba.

I'll never understand why some folks don't just keep their card in their wallet. I even know some folks who don't always carry their driver's license there. Boggles my mind but it seems to be common.

Good idea. Also, the phone number for NAUI is:

800-553-6284 Toll-Free
813-628-6284 Voice

Physical Address:
9030 Camden Field Parkway
Riverview, FL 33578 USA

@Discusdoc ... I'll never understand why some folks don't just keep their card in their wallet. I even know some folks who don't always carry their driver's license there. Boggles my mind but it seems to be common.
I don't carry mine in my wallet*, but I do what I consider to be a viable alternative. I keep all of my C-Cards (and my DAN Insurance card) in a "Passport Folder" in my reg bag. The odds of me going on a dive trip without my reg bag are infinitesimal. (I don't dive locally.) Once I get to my destination, I will secure them with my passport & plane tickets till I head home.

*I do carry a spare AOW card in my wallet though because once I thought I had misplaced my cards and I ordered a replacement AOW card to "get me air" while on a dive trip. (I found my cards about 5 minutes after I had ordered the replacement card but by then, PADI had already charged my credit card and confirmed the order.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom