Can someone help me get my NAUI Nitrox C-Card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Several weeks ago I posted my problem in getting my NAUI Nitrox C-card. The main problem appears to be that NAUI sent the card to San Andres Island, Columbia for the dive shop owner to "sign off" on and then he's supposed to send it to me here in New Jersey, USA. When the dive shop sent in the paperwork to NAUI they in fact attested to me having taken the course, right? Why NAUI would need to send the card to Columbia to be "signed off" on makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Please read the email below. I sent it yesterday and it's self explanatory. I sent copies to various "upper level" people at NAUI also. If anyone can give me advice on dealing with this idiocy it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

"I returned home from Cozumel yesterday and just now
sorted through my mail.

My NAUI Nitrox card has NOT arrived. Also, I tried
using the temporary card you had emailed me but the
dive shop I was using in Cozumel would not accept it.
I was not about to go searching for another dive shop
or to contact NAUI by phone from Mexico. One of my
goals in going to Cozumel in the first place was to
become more familiar with using NITROX.

This entire matter has become beyond ridiculous. This
has been going on for months. I never did receive any
response whatsoever from Roger to my email of several
weeks ago. One would think that a responsible dive
shop owner would have the courtesy to do even that.

I am requesting that NAUI issue a valid card and send
it to me directly.
I see no reason whatsoever for you needing Roger to
sign the card. By his submitting proof of my having
successfully completed the course originally he had
effectively "signed off" on the matter. I see no
reason that this card can't be issued to me directly.
I think we've both spent way too much time on this
matter.

Your attention to this will be greatly appreciated."

The card needs to be signed by the instructor to be valid. This is a fairly routine procedure for many certifications, another example would be the Red Cross.

However, by NAUI standards, you must recieve your card within 30 days of completing the course. If not, the instructor can lose his teaching status. So, if NAUI did send it to him and assuming that they didn't send it to him late, the problem lies with the instructor.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that your anger is generated more by the temp card not being accepted. Did the dive shop in Cozemel give you a reason why the temp card was not accepted? NAUI is a well established dive organization and it is upsetting that the shop would not take the temp card. If that is the shop's policy I would be interested in knowing their name so as to not send my students there.

The dive shop in Cozumel impressed me with it's thoroughness and professionalism, something that I find to be rare.

The "temp card" NAUI emailed me could very easily have been manufactured on a computer and I got the impression that the owner may have been given "phony" temporary cards in the past and just didn't want to bother.

I can't say I blame him. He had no shortage of customers. I dove with regular air.

Sy

renpirate:
The card needs to be signed by the instructor to be valid. This is a fairly routine procedure for many certifications, another example would be the Red Cross.

However, by NAUI standards, you must recieve your card within 30 days of completing the course. If not, the instructor can lose his teaching status. So, if NAUI did send it to him and assuming that they didn't send it to him late, the problem lies with the instructor.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that your anger is generated more by the temp card not being accepted. Did the dive shop in Cozemel give you a reason why the temp card was not accepted? NAUI is a well established dive organization and it is upsetting that the shop would not take the temp card. If that is the shop's policy I would be interested in knowing their name so as to not send my students there.

Call Naui and ask to verify that Naui shows you are certified as Nitrox. Let us know the answer.

They emailed you a temp card? The instructor didn't issue you one with his signature on it? I have never heard of that before. Has it been 30 days since you took the course?

sytech:
The "temp card" NAUI emailed me could very easily have been manufactured on a computer and I got the impression that the owner may have been given "phony" temporary cards in the past and just didn't want to bother.

Sy

With computers today and a little savy, you can make just about any card you desire. Regardless of agency or level.

I agree with Renpirate, you should have been issued a temp by the instructor

I almost hate to say it, but since you have the training which is the valuable part, and simply need a ccard, maybe you should ask for a refund from the instructor and go get a PADI card or something.

plot:
I almost hate to say it, but since you have the training which is the valuable part, and simply need a ccard, maybe you should ask for a refund from the instructor and go get a PADI card or something.

thats a ridiculous comment, you do know he has to take the class thenw ith PADI as well, they don't just give him a card

Cheekymonkey:
thats a ridiculous comment, you do know he has to take the class thenw ith PADI as well, they don't just give him a card

Yes, but I'm sure he can find a 3 hour classroom only course to do it through too... which would probably be less time and effort than he's spent trying to get this NAUI mess straightened out.

I don't know about NAUI but when I did my PADI they lost records of my Nitrox cert. I sent a scan of my temp card to where I got certified and she sent it again to PADI and 1 week later got my card. Am I getting this right that NAUI sent you a temp card or the instructor sent it to you. If NAUI sent it to you then they should have sent you the Regular card. I got my temp from my instructor with her signature on it. Call to where you got certified it will cost you a phone call but not as easy to ignore a call rather than an email. Just a thought...
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom