NAUI Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbaker248

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Morning all, I have just a few questions regarding this topic. I am about to start my NAUI rescue course within a couple of weeks. I've already read most of the book, and answered most of the knowledge review questions, and will finish both of those in a few days.
My question is: Where could I find sample test questions for this? I am not wanting the actual test, but some sample questions to see where I need to focus more studying/reading. Secondly I would like to ask the same question regarding sample questions for the NAUI Master Scuba diver course. My goal is to enter into the NAUI divemaster program by the middle of July if not sooner.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out in my quest to become a better diver through education and training!!!
Have a great Day!!!

I don't know, but if the test questions are anything like the advanced scuba diver course you don't even need to read the book. I'm extremely disappointed in NAUI's tests (keep in mind I haven't yet taken rescue or higher). The test didn't even actually ask anything useful in their book. It's like designed to allow the biggest moron to pass. NAUI may be nonprofit, but they allow their instructors to make a profit. At the end of the day won't that lead to just wanting to pass everyone so you can make money and sell more gear?

From NAUI.org
Advanced Scuba/Junior Advanced Scuba

Let your underwater adventure continue! Apply your scuba skills as you explore new dive sites and activities under the supervision and training of your NAUI Instructor. Learn which diving specialties interest you, and what type of diving you enjoy most. Gain more confidence and capability. Begin to consider the direction diving will take you, as you go for everything it has to offer.

The Advanced Scuba Diver course is an enjoyable certification course for 12-year-old (or older) certified divers who desire additional training, have moved from one diving area to another and desire local orientation, do not have, but wish to obtain, NAUI certification, or who desire orientation to a variety of diving sites and conditions.

As part of your certification, you will complete a minimum of six open water dives including three separate dives for navigation, night or low visibility diving and deep diving (130 feet/40 meters maximum depth), plus three different dives. Some of the many different dives you can do include:

Search and recovery

Boat diving

Light salvage

Hunting and collecting

Exploration and underwater mapping

Wreck diving (non-penetration)

Observation and data collection

Diving in surf or currents

Altitude diving

Salt water diving (in areas where most diving is in fresh water)

Fresh water diving (in areas where most diving is in salt water)

Shore diving

Diving for photos or video

Using dive computers

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand these things. Advanced's purpose is to allow new divers to practice and refine their skills in the water.
All those educational things like physics, dive planning, basic rescues, those are covered in NAUI's Basic OW.
I think before you criticize one agency's test you should look around at tests from other agencies.

And every agency allows their instructors to make a profit. Keep in mind that an agency's standards and business model don't set a general tone for all instructors of that agency.

It has been awhile, but the rescue diver questions were very straightforward questions from material right out of the book. Know the material and you should be OK. As for the master diver it is a lot of diving physics such as computing how many PS I of air at a given depth would it take to lift an object of x dimensions to the surface. Sounds daunting, but a good instructor and some studying and work on your part you will find it rewarding. After completing the NAUi master dive course I was helping a few PADI dm candidates with their calculations (note:this was needed because of shortcomings of an individual instructor, not a reflection of the agency)

Thank you my friend.
52.gif

My question is: Where could I find sample test questions for this? I am not wanting the actual test, but some sample questions to see where I need to focus more studying/reading. Secondly I would like to ask the same question regarding sample questions for the NAUI Master Scuba diver course.
I'm afraid I don't currently have any sample questions I can pass along, unfortunately. I'm going to take this as a suggestion to develop some for my (and others') students. The nice thing about the NAUI books is that they come right out and highlight the bits that they consider important enough to test you on, so you've at least got a good study guide.

If you're going to start the Rescue class in a couple of weeks and the Master Scuba Diver course afterward, I'll see if I can find some time to write up some questions. (Summers are very busy for me, but it should be a fun project to add to my Dive Table Problem/Test Generator web page.)

My goal is to enter into the NAUI divemaster program by the middle of July if not sooner.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out in my quest to become a better diver through education and training!!!
You don't have much detail in your ScubaBoard profile, so I have no idea what your area is like training- and diving-wise, but assuming you're in an area with *lots* of diving, it's quite aggressive but not unreasonable to attempt to enter a DM program somewhen in July. Since you're driving toward Divemaster, I'll bundle up a few tips that I'd normally drop here and there.

Rescue class is *very* important to you and your future divers. Don't let yourself just pass it; now's the time to push yourself harder than even the instructor might otherwise require. I took Rescue with a friend of mine (who is now one of my Divemasters when I'm teaching classes), and we went full-tilt in Rescue class (even asking for more when it just seemed too easy). The bumped-up intensity went far toward knowing that when we *do* need to put things into practice, we can handle it. Don't just ask for some pizza and be done with it. :biggrin:

NAUI's Master Scuba Diver course isn't the be-all and end-all of diving academics, but it *does* give you a solid base from which to build your knowledge. It's designed to provide (and test) all the diving knowledge a NAUI Divemaster or Instructor *needs* to know (the Cliff's Notes, as it were), although if you settle for just what you need, you'd obviously be a very poor excuse for a leader. :) Don't just pass the class; try to ace it. Better still, whenever something in the class piques your interest, take some time to follow that thread and learn more. If there aren't (possibly long) digressions and discussions in your Master Scuba Diver course, you're not using it properly. If there's anything that you don't grok (i.e. understand fully, front-to-back, in your sleep, even), your Instructor(s) or people like myself would be glad to go through it and help you make sense of it.

And of course, when you make it into a NAUI Divemaster course, don't get in a hurry. In the NAUI progression, by the time you enter leadership training, you've got all the diving knowledge in your head that you need to continue. The Divemaster course includes almost no *diving* skills at all -- it's *all* about leadership (in and out of the water). No matter how you come into it, you're going to need a good bit of time and practical experience to grow into that. Even if you're a born leader, you're entering an entirely new area. ("You use different moves when you're fighting half a dozen than when you only have to be worried about one." --Fezzik in The Princess Bride)

I'm naturally a very observant, helpful person (it's just my personality), and I have a degree in chemical engineering (partial pressures? in my sleep, left-handed, in pen). I'd consider that a pretty good set of aptitudes going into my Divemaster program. Perhaps it was a case of "knowing how much you don't know", but even drinking up everything I could get my hands on (from reading, listening, and lots of practical), it took some time and more than a few "What the SAMHILL just *happened*?!?" moments before I started to consider myself even *possibly* worthy of being responsible for other people's loved ones.

Even now (and *especially* now, as an Instructor), I'm *always* aware of a heavy responsibility *I* place on *myself*. I *absolutely* have fun, enjoy myself, and hopefully help others do the same, but even if it's just for fun, I still keep that responsibility inside. *THAT* is my mark of a good Divemaster, and if you can get there, all the skills and knowledge and experience you'll need becomes something you *want*, not something you're required to have.

Oh, and one more thing... If you're not a competitive swimmer, the 450 yards in 10 minutes swim may have your lunch. If *I* can do it, complete with swimming form that would make a swim coach cry, it's really not that hard. It's just conditioning. I always recommend ZERO to 1650 in Six Weeks by Ruth Kazez to potential Divemaster candidates. I have yet to have a single one follow the plan on that page and fail to pass the swim tests on their first try. (By about the end of week four or the middle of week five, 450 in 10 should not be an issue.)

So... I've now been *completely* long-winded answering what was really a rather simple question. If you want me to write up and pass along some practice questions, do let me know. Best wishes going forward with your training (and remember that training without experience implementing it is worse than useless). You sound as if you certainly have the motivation; enjoy the process and don't rush the "completion" of your future Divemaster training. :cool2:

Thank you for the response, I will look forward to some of your hypothetical test question. After DM I plan to enter the instructor phase, and my GOAL is to be instructor certified by the end of August. Is this a realistic or unrealistic goal?

Thanks again!
Mike

After DM I plan to enter the instructor phase, and my GOAL is to be instructor certified by the end of August. Is this a realistic or unrealistic goal?
Moving quickly to begin a Divemaster course, with plenty of diving and motivation, is one thing. Racing headlong to "instructor", on the other hand, is a seahorse of a different color. The question shouldn't be whether it's realistic or unrealistic; the question should be whether it's good or not good. I don't mean to discourage you from wanting to become an Instructor; I mean to *encourage* you to want to become a *good* Instructor.

Okay, so here's the thing: In the NAUI leadership progression, Divemaster is the step above Assistant Instructor (and just below Instructor). When you're assisting a NAUI Instructor with their classes, they can hand off parts of the instruction to you. (CESA is notably one part that a Divemaster is *NOT* allowed to do with students, but just about anything else is fair game if the supervising Instructor considers you qualified and competent in that area [see your book and S&P manual].) As a NAUI Divemaster, you will be able to do (a bit at a time) just about everything an Instructor does except teach the classes independently and sign the cards, so it's not like you have any reason to rush anything (unless you're doing it just to collect the card, which only leads to terrible "instructors").

What you *do* need going toward Instructor is to dive in to being a Divemaster. Assist with all the classes you can, and more importantly, assist as many different Instructors as you can. Watch them and learn what works and what, well, *doesn't*. Notice things that fit your personal style and incorporate them into how you teach the parts you're handed. Time is also very important here. Minds need time to digest information and time to reform to incorporate it, and there really is no way around that. You have to learn quite a bit to become a good Instructor, but you can't get away with just learning -- there's *becoming* involved, and that takes time.

My path went something like this: By the time I finished Divemaster, I had a couple hundred dives all over the place in all sorts of conditions (with and without students around). Then I spent the next year assisting with basically every class my shop ran (with lots of different Instructors) and going on basically every checkout trip they did. (I did skip one trip to go to the Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show, of course, as it's unhealthy to be *too* single-minded.)

I spent basically a full year of assisting with other Instructors' classes (and noting quite a few things, positive and negative), and the following spring, I finally began my Instructor course itself. I had been teaching a unit or two each class and doing briefings and demos in the pool and open water, so I had been formed into the basic shape of an Instructor already. The Instructor course was more of finishing work, making sure any concepts I had missed or not yet honed were cleaned up, and evaluating every aspect of my performance.

Frankly, once I was a Divemaster and teaching parts of classes, it really opened my eyes to a lot of things. In my head, I'd understood about being responsible for others' loved ones and all that, but actually *being* in that position was different... and humbling. I knew I wanted to become an Instructor, but I absolutely did *NOT* want to rush anything and try to go too far too quickly. I might even say that I was surprised when I was told I was done -- I knew I had already completed the on-the-folder requirements, but to be told that my Course Director and Instructor Trainers considered me a capable instructor worthy of teaching *their* loved ones was an honor.

One last thing: As a motivated individual, *beware* of your own confidence. As I note to my students, being uncomfortable means that something isn't quite right, but being comfortable *does not* mean that everything is fine. (A diver ignoring their SPG can finish a dive completely content and never realize that they had 50 psi left when they got on the boat, while if they were checking it, they'd certainly be uncomfortable skinning that tooth.)

I don't see any way you could go on to instructor by August and be a good Instructor at that point, and I would certainly hope that you would find it a better path to spend some time learning what it is to be a good Instructor before you take that step. It *should* make you a bit nervous and apprehensive at this point when you think about the responsibilities and all, and if it doesn't give you pause, you're not ready to go there yet.

Keep "become a good Instructor" as your goal, but throw out the timing for now. At this point, the "when" should be however long it takes. Once you have worked with a nice bunch of classes and Instructors, then start working on Instructor in earnest and give yourself a time-goal (which will still be secondary to your primary goal of becoming a good Instructor -- sometimes you have to slide the timeline).

(When I was a newer diver, I had time-goals I wanted to meet for becoming a Divemaster and later Instructor. Then my Divemaster course kept having its start date pushed back by the shop, moving from summer to fall to the following spring before it ever began. Then logistics stretched it out even more (eventually the other two candidates dropped/washed out). The delays ended up meaning I had much more experience by the time I finished Divemaster, and looking back at it, current-me thinks I wouldn't have been nearly as good if then-me's plans went off without the delays. I learned enough through that to not be in any hurry going through Instructor, and I am absolutely certain I am a better Instructor because of it.)

I will get you some questions soon, by the way. I was two Divemasters down this weekend (one sick, one called in to work), so mb and I had our hands more than full with class. I'd post some video, but with just us, I never even got the camera in the water. :biggrin:

The best advice I received when I was finishing up my NAUI DM training was to take at least a year and work with as many instructors as possible before beginning my instructor training.

I can never comprehend why some folks want to be in such a hurry to teach scuba ... take some time to truly learn it first ... and that takes far more than the dives that the agency requires as a minimum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't know, but if the test questions are anything like the advanced scuba diver course you don't even need to read the book. I'm extremely disappointed in NAUI's tests (keep in mind I haven't yet taken rescue or higher). The test didn't even actually ask anything useful in their book. It's like designed to allow the biggest moron to pass. NAUI may be nonprofit, but they allow their instructors to make a profit. At the end of the day won't that lead to just wanting to pass everyone so you can make money and sell more gear?

The OW exam is far more in depth than any other agency test that i have laid eyes on.

Yes the AOW test is easy, and why shouldnt it be. The whole point of AOW is to DIVE. AOW isnt designed as an acedemic class, its a dive class. The Rescue test you will fail if you dont read the book, and when it comes to MSD you need to spend some serious time in the book or you will fail miserably....Lots of math!

NAUI not only allows instructors to make money, but they require it. No this doesnt lead to passing everybody that takes the class any more than PADI, SSI, SDI etc. does.....Every NAUI instructor that i know is willing to keep teaching untill the student is competent to be passed.

To the OP: Study the books, the answers are there.

Back
Top Bottom