NAUI Rescue Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guerosd

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of what activities you have to complete in order to pass the NAUI Rescue cert? I called my local dive shop with this question. The guy said the instructor checklist has all the info I was asking about but he was not sure if it was kosher to give it to me.

Anybody out there, have a copy of this checklist? I have a two-fold reason for wanting it. 1) I want to be prepped physically for it (swim fitness) and 2) I want to make sure the class is more rigorous than the "unbelievably easy" PADI course.

I did a quick look on the NAUI website and saw that there was some good info on what their Rescue Diver and Advanced Rescue diver program is all about.

Are you seeking more info than what is presented there?

As another resource, you can view the SDI Rescue Diver course outline by clicking this link (requires Adobe Acrobat to read).

guerosd,
Go here for the checklist, it's not a secret.

http://www.Naui.org/pdffiles/ScubaRescueDiverGrid.pdf

The NAUI Rescue Diver course is not all that different in overall scope than the PADI, except that you have much more flexibility in how you teach, and WHAT you teach than PADI. A NAUI instructor (me, for instance) is more likely to give you more than one option or technique for something, IMO. Also, for NAUI the CPR requirement is more stringent; you need 2 person, infant, child, or the equal of BLS-C.

There is a NAUI Advanced Rescue course which is worth looking into, and you don't need the regular rescue course before it.

Neil

oops,thanks Mike,
You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the list. There's a link to get it on the NAUI page.
Neil

Thanks Neil...this was it! adv rescue was what I was after...

although I could have sworn I heard that there items like a timed 400yd swim or somethin...maybe my source confused it w/ the dive master requirements.

I was under the impression that the advanced rescue diver course was an add on to the rescue diver course.

guerosd,

The Advanced Rescue does have some timed requirements:
225 yd swim (no equipment)in 6 minutes or less;
survival float/tread for 15 minutes;
transport another scuba diver (surface) 100 yds. in four minutes or less

jbd,
The only cert. prerequisite is NAUI Advanced Scuba or equivalent, FA/CPR, O2 training, and a bunch of skills such as listed above.

Neil

I finally found my Standards & Policies manual and looked it up.

guerosd--The PADI and NAUI rescue courses cover pretty much the same material. Both are also physically demanding. The transporting the non breathing unconcious diver is a real challenge. I have done CPR live and in real time nearly two dozen times and I can honestly say I would hate to try it after transporting a victim to shore or a boat and then getting them on to a surface that would allow CPR.

I think you will find that your rescue course will be very rewarding as many others have.

The NAUI Advanced Rescue Course is either a 2 or 3 year certification. I don't have my S&P with me so I am not sure, but think it is 3 years. At the end of the time, you can redo the water skills for recert. One does not have to retake the entire course.

The NAUI Scuba Rescue is lifetime cert. and is a prerequisite for any NAUI Leadership course.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom