NAUI Open Water Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No need to shave the beard ... and you only need to shave the top half of the 'stache ... about a 1/2 inch or so just below your nose ... it's called a "diver's trim".. :D

Relax and have fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a 3'x4' and/or a 4'x6' outdoor rug I bought at Dollar General (similiar to this one) to stand on while I change. A camp chair set up next to or on it lets you sit down and wrestle the wetsuit off of your ankles in comfort.
Ber :lilbunny:

Drink lots and lots of water, you'll be suprisingly thirsty.

Good luck on your checkout dives!

From a Naui Instructor, Have a good time and enjoy your self. Come on to minn. and I will do your advance open water class. Some of it will be in the big lake.

The one thing I remember is the difference between the 80 degree pool we trained in versus the 55 degree water we did the OW portion in. Just remember to relax and breathe. I think that the first time I had to pull the mask off of my face, I was taken aback a little due to the cold water hitting my face. As people have said, it shouldn't be anything you really haven't already done in the pool. It's just that the water might be a little bit colder. Have a great time this weekend!

Facial hair, I only shave back about 1/4" from my nose for the skirt to seal.
I have to touch it up with a disposable rasor sometimes by afternoon or apply a little mask sealer that comes in a chap stick tube. Otherwise the stubble prevents a sel and it seeps more.

Don't use anthing that can damage the mask skirt Silicon masks don't like Valsoline (petrolium jelly) that I know of. It discolors and ages the material.

Get used to keeping positive mask pressure (little nose exhale) and well practiced at mask clearing. Stubble and Wiskers tend to leak a little, no matter what.

Guess you could go full dry suit and full helm... What fun is that though. :)

SLOW is FAST

Dang it! My hubby says that! He says," Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".....

And I thought he was the only one. men...

Seriously, you'll be fine. Relax, stay as warm as you can, and know that you wouldn't be allowed to be there if you weren't ready. Enjoy it. Have fun.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm really excited to finally do an open water dive. I'll update everyone on how things went.
Cheers,
~Nathan

I'm all certified now! Thanks to everyone for providing great tips, ideas, and thoughts. All of those made my trip much more comfortable and succesfull. I'm looking forward to improving my skills and taking an advanced class, maybe nitrox. In case anyone is wondering, I made 4 dives and my deepest dive was 70ft. I'm amazed with how much I improved from the first dive to the last dive, especially when it comes to bouyancy control. Thanks again!

I'm all certified now! Thanks to everyone for providing great tips, ideas, and thoughts. All of those made my trip much more comfortable and succesfull. I'm looking forward to improving my skills and taking an advanced class, maybe nitrox. In case anyone is wondering, I made 4 dives and my deepest dive was 70ft. I'm amazed with how much I improved from the first dive to the last dive, especially when it comes to bouyancy control. Thanks again!

Congratulations on getting certified. Welcome to the wonderful world of diving.

Back
Top Bottom