NAUI Master Scuba Diver: what exactly is it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been talking to my LDS about NAUI MSD training. They have a DM and MSD class each spring and they teach them concurrent. As they explain, you take the academic, pool and OW training, help with training, etc... At the end of the course, you fill out your paperwork and either get a DM cert or a MSD cert. As they put it, you merely have to decide if you want to go pro or not.

Bill
That's not a bad way to go ... keep in mind that the NAUI DM ranks above the NAUI AI.

keep in mind that the NAUI DM ranks above the NAUI AI.

That's confussing...but I have to admit, I have never understood the point of the AI. Maybe it's a money generator for agencies. So the NAUI pro route is DM->Instructor? Do you even need to do any AI training in NAUI?

That's confussing...but I have to admit, I have never understood the point of the AI. Maybe it's a money generator for agencies. So the NAUI pro route is DM->Instructor?
Yes ...

Do you even need to do any AI training in NAUI?
No ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

AI is an historical artifact, from back when there were two certifications, Basic Diver and Instuctor. A third was added: AI.

OK-I made a call to the lds and asked about this course...so sad. Once they realized that I was not interested in becoming a dive master they basically brushed me aside. No big deal, It was more of a curiosity thing-something to put on my to do list when I had some extra $$$ and time.

Anyway, the way this shop wanted to do it was, "We give you all the course materials and then you do the 8 dives with our advance class. We will be expecting more out of you during those dives and will ask you to lead a few". I asked about physical test and acedemic test-None. They take your money, let you do 8 more dives and give you the books.

I hope this isn't how it is suppose to be.

I'm really very sorry that you got that response from your lds. As others have said, the NAUI MSD course should be much more than that. That is definitely a class that I would gear towards what your future intentions are. For instance, if you were intending on becoming a DM, I would take you on a few training dives with other students. If you were only interested in increased knowledge and skills, then I would focus on that. Either way, you would get a good helping of diving theory and skills.

The NAUI Master Diver book is easily my favorite NAUI book. I still use it as a reference when preparing for a lecture. I'm even working on scanning it to PDF (something NAUI should do with all of their books IMO) so I can have it with me on my computer at all times.

Not to resurrect a zombie thread, but for the benefit of those that don't know. NAUI has its e-learning modules set up for free. This includes pdf versions of their latest books, tables, etc. that you can download within the courses.

Not to resurrect a zombie thread, but for the benefit of those that don't know. NAUI has its e-learning modules set up for free. This includes pdf versions of their latest books, tables, etc. that you can download within the courses.
The last post in this thread prior to yours was just after my 21st birthday. I'm 33 now, and live 8000 miles from where that birthday party took place, haha.

Back
Top Bottom