NAUI DIR tech course content (kinda split from DIR variances)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can you explain to me how EXACTLY you tie into a cookie? I have always used cookies on the exit side of a T. If the jump is marked, I will put my line between the arrows. If it's not marked I'll put an arrow on the exit side. I don' see the need to sandwich my line between 2 arrows that I place. My line has NEVER been moved more than a foot or so. I will also place a cookie at a exit side of a T such as the little river serpentine and merry go round, even though I now that cave very well. Don't get mad at me heather, I'm just curious

can you explain to me how EXACTLY you tie into a cookie? I have always used cookies on the exit side of a T. If the jump is marked, I will put my line between the arrows. If it's not marked I'll put an arrow on the exit side. I don' see the need to sandwich my line between 2 arrows that I place. My line has NEVER been moved more than a foot or so. I will also place an cookie at a exit side of a T such as the little river serpentine and merry go round. Don't get mad at me heather, I'm just curious

Nobody's tying into cookies. Heather was confused and thought those of us diving "DIR" were tying into cookies. We use them as you do at Ts. We use them the same way at jumps whether its marked or not, cookie goes on the outbound side. Arrows are reserved for permanent marking and emergencies like lost line, lost buddy.

can you explain to me how EXACTLY you tie into a cookie? I have always used cookies on the exit side of a T. If the jump is marked, I will put my line between the arrows. If it's not marked I'll put an arrow on the exit side. I don' see the need to sandwich my line between 2 arrows that I place. My line has NEVER been moved more than a foot or so. I will also place a cookie at a exit side of a T such as the little river serpentine and merry go round, even though I now that cave very well. Don't get mad at me heather, I'm just curious

Curiosity is a wonderful thing.

How to tie into a cookie or other line marker:

OK, your method works just fine, when a jump is marked, or there is at least one existing marker there. But how do you do it when those criteria are not met? I'm going to generically call them "markers" from here on...

Place your marker on the line in the usual manner. Now, instead of placing the lark's head on the line, place it over your marker, so that the line from the spool "wraps" the marker through the slots (think of it making a "x" with the main line). Voila. Your tie in is now execptionally secure- it isn't going to slide up and down the line at all. I hope I was simply unclear before, because I find it hard to believe that instructors aren't routinely teaching this anymore. There are, after all, lots of unmarked jumps out there.

I hope I was simply unclear before, because I find it hard to believe that instructors aren't routinely teaching this anymore. There are, after all, lots of unmarked jumps out there.

Sorry to dissapoint you Heather, but i was not taught, nor have I used that method in the past, nor do I teach it. This is in no way criticizing your teaching methods or experience. I appreciate your explanation, and I understand it, but at this point I am reluctant to change my jump and T marking procedures.

Thanks.

if you tie of a jump to the mainline and you go across the flow then into whatever side passage you are taling then quite often your jump tie in will get pushed by the flow and move on you. That is when what heather is talking about works super well. If you are just doing a tie in and jump thru a no flow area then not securing the tie isn't a big deal per say because unless a diver runs into it it isn't going to move.

Heather juging by the number of "loop over" not even a hitch tie in jump lines I've seen in Devile, LR and Peacock I don't believe it is taught much anymore....

Rhea in my GUE cave 1 (mind you in 2000 so awhile ago) at the time felt that cloths pins were always better than cookies

cookie goes on the outbound side. Arrows are reserved for permanent marking and emergencies like lost line, lost buddy.

That's what I was taught. Although I could very well be out of touch with recent procedural changes.

Heather juging by the number of "loop over" not even a hitch tie in jump lines I've seen in Devile, LR and Peacock I don't believe it is taught much anymore....

You mean using a girth hitch over the arrow slots?

if you tie of a jump to the mainline and you go across the flow then into whatever side passage you are taling then quite often your jump tie in will get pushed by the flow and move on you.

Your cookie should be blocking downstream movement - unless you are diving a siphon or its a funky diagonal. At least that's how I've always imagined it. But WTH do I know, I have yet to get in flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom