NAUI DIR tech course content (kinda split from DIR variances)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I'll just copy and paste and start a new thread

[EDIT new thread here]

and now i find it... i'll clean up the threads here that should be moved....

and we should be moved into a new thread...

my first time moving posts around, hopefully i didn't mess this up too much...

Thanks Heather, here are some follow-on questions:

1) What do you teach in terms of gases? I know GUE is 32%, 30/30, 21/35 and 18/45 at T-1 level with 50% and O2 as deco gases.

2) Decompression: I assume you are using V-Planner? Are there multiple theories taught?

3) Bottle handling-GUE Tech 1 is one deco bottle, either a 40 or an 80.

I know that the NTEC gear configuration is similar, and that your approach to team-based diving is also probably quite similar, so it is probably the above things that would define any similarities or differences.

As I understand it, the 5thd-X guys (now "Breakthru Diving") are using the same three classes (helitrox, deco procedures, advanced nitrox) and teach it to NAUI standards, but also go into some other choices, such as AG's approach to deco, and the use of standard gases-generally more helium than the NAUI gases. Once again--as I understand it--this is fine because NAUI gives its instructors some leeway in terms of teaching beyond standards.

Anyways, a few more questions, I appreciate the dialogue.

-Doug

I absolutely HATE the 26/17 thing, BUT... that's what the standard says for Helitrox. Personally I think it's a bull**** mix. Frankly, I think less than 30% He is a waste of time (but that's just me).

26/17 is a weird gas, makes it interesting to explain the rationale behind it in my classes (But, it def beats EAN25 to 150' as advocated by other agencies). Luckily, NAUI does allow a non-rigid approach so I can speak to the merits of other mixes all I want. I have heard multiple different iterations of what constitutes "Helitrox" but I won't go into it here.

I absolutely HATE the 26/17 thing, BUT... that's what the standard says for Helitrox. Personally I think it's a bull**** mix. Frankly, I think less than 30% He is a waste of time (but that's just me).
Roger that, agree the 17% is kinda worthless. What's your backgas max END? Max ppO2? Average ppO2? (for the bottom portions of a dive)...

Valve drills... I do differ significantly from GUE on this one. Thier drill is all nice and elegant, but it doens't really address the fact that in a real world scenario you are loosing gas. The name of the game is to preserve as much gas as possible- therefore shutting the isolator first is the way I teach it. Once the isolator is closed we work on finding where the gas is coming from and addressing that.
Not what I would consider "DIR" but WTH do I know. No universally 'correct' answer to this anyway IMO.

Lost deco gas... I teach a variety of permutations, including decoing on bg and feathering the valve. The name of the game here is DON'T LOOSE YOUR DECO GAS. In other words, don't be dropping it in the ocean (cave is another issue), don't be swimming (or scootering) around with those valves open free flowing everywhere, PLAN the deco gas requirements as a team effort so that there is plenty of reserve (without getting crazy on the bottles you carry), and always have at least one backup plan. Prevention is the key (and it's stupidly easy).
Roger doger, I agree there its pretty easy to have 99+% confidence that you got gas but having a couple of contingencies is wise. e.g. feathering, sharing, backgas

Jumps:

Scenario 1: jump is marked. Tie in either on your line arrow or between the jump markers (to keep your line from moving).

Scenario 2: jump is not marked. Tie into your line arrow indicating YOUR direction of entrance. Oter team members can put a marker down as well, but it isn't mandatory.

That's kind of an overview, but should give you the gist :).

Ok now this is totally bizarre to me. All sorts of potential to change the general navigation of the cave, many permutations depending on arrow direction. I'm rather surprised you're not using cookies to mark Ts and jumps. ALA this not this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom