NAUI and Diabetics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoops sorry....didn't see the link I thought you said WHAT does DAN say, sorry hon

No problem dear :wink:,it's alway's good to find as much info as possible.

The only issue of safety in diving with diabetes is the risk of a hypo, which cannot happen with a Type 2 who is not on insulin. So I don't know why "cerich" has his approach.

The British HSE used to regard any diabetes as an absolute contraindication for working in diving (which includes ANY diving for money or where it would otherwise be considered work, even if no money changes hands). They have now relaxed that attitude as they realised it was unreasonable, and now allow diving professionals if their diabetes is well controlled and if a diving physician approves them. In the UK a diving physician is an expert in diving medicine etc and is specially licenced - there aren't many of them.

For anyone who doesn't know, the HSE's standards are by far the most demanding in the world, and have been adopted by many countries outside the UK for all forms of commercial diving. Their "basic" diving course is residential for over a month, extremely intensive and demanding, and is failed by many people who attempt it. They totally control all diving in the UK, recreational or otherwise.

There are no HSE rules on recreational diving, but they recommend the same standards be applied.

How do I know this? I am a type 2 diabetic (not insulin dependant) who was barred from teaching when I was diagnosed, but I appealed and was later allowed to resume teaching and still do so. I am specifically allowed to do all the teaching that I used to, which includes deep advanced trimix. I often do 3+ hour trimix CCR dives to great depths, and have never had a suggestion of a problem. The point being that my problem is blood sugar that tends to be too high, not too low.

The only issue of safety in diving with diabetes is the risk of a hypo, which cannot happen with a Type 2 who is not on insulin. So I don't know why "cerich" has his approach.

The British HSE used to regard any diabetes as an absolute contraindication for working in diving (which includes ANY diving for money or where it would otherwise be considered work, even if no money changes hands). They have now relaxed that attitude as they realised it was unreasonable, and now allow diving professionals if their diabetes is well controlled and if a diving physician approves them. In the UK a diving physician is an expert in diving medicine etc and is specially licenced - there aren't many of them.

For anyone who doesn't know, the HSE's standards are by far the most demanding in the world, and have been adopted by many countries outside the UK for all forms of commercial diving. Their "basic" diving course is residential for over a month, extremely intensive and demanding, and is failed by many people who attempt it. They totally control all diving in the UK, recreational or otherwise.

There are no HSE rules on recreational diving, but they recommend the same standards be applied.

How do I know this? I am a type 2 diabetic (not insulin dependant) who was barred from teaching when I was diagnosed, but I appealed and was later allowed to resume teaching and still do so. I am specifically allowed to do all the teaching that I used to, which includes deep advanced trimix. I often do 3+ hour trimix CCR dives to great depths, and have never had a suggestion of a problem. The point being that my problem is blood sugar that tends to be too high, not too low.

My approach is simple, if a person with type 2 hasn't been able to show control with their diabetes why should I expect they suddenly will be able to simply because they desire to learn diving? It isn't a matter of a diving-type 2 specific risk so much as the general risk of teaching a person who hasn't their disease under control.

But they can't get a hypo. They are no more at risk than anyone else.

So my brother called his NAUI LDS and they talked to the Course Director who in turn called NAUI and they said no problem...he was eligible to do his OW. Thanks for all of the advice guys (and girls)

I do hope they distinguished between someone using insulin and someone not...? There's a profound difference, and if they didn't recognise it than their views are useless.

Good to hear for your brother. From 1 type II to another...hope to see him in the water soon. Tell him good luck and have fun.

As an 82 Air Force Academy Grad, I wish your brother good luck and diving. Fast, neat, average......

Thanks Butch..haha
Sitting through an USAFA Graduation seemed like the longest day ever but it was wicked cool when the Thunderbirds roared by overhead when they were throwing their caps up in the air at the end

Back
Top Bottom