National Geographic - The Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I subscribed to Disney+ mostly just to see this. In 2018 I hadn't followed the story closely, so quite a bit of it was news to me. To the credit of the makers of this documentary it was hard to tell which scenes were reenacted and which were original footage, but it sure looked like there was a huge amount of original footage of just about everything that went on at the site. I guess that's the result of nearly everyone carrying a tiny camera nowadays.

And yeah, that song in the closing credits--my wife sat up and commented on how jarring and out of place it sounded to her.

Thanks for the Disney +, just watched it. What a great documentary.

It makes me chuckle a bit though, I remember when this was happening, some people on the forum were mocking 'the support guy with the inner tube on his back', and then they were reassured by others that he could surely NOT be a diver and it would be surely just be some sort of surface floatation support.

Turns out that guy was Rick Stanton and it's just his 'wing' he's been using for ages...

Also just watched. Great show. Pretty incredible they were able to get all out safely. Also unbelievable they had an extraction plan so if it went south they wouldn't have to go to Thai jail.

Also just watched. Great show. Pretty incredible they were able to get all out safely. Also unbelievable they had an extraction plan so if it went south they wouldn't have to go to Thai jail.
Harry is a ledged! Absolutely amazing heroism and wiliness to sacrifice everything for the lives of strangers and you know if things went wrong with his plan to anesthetize the kids all fingers and blame would be pointed directly at him and the news would have spun it against him. No would would even think to look at what he was sacrificing and trying to accomplish.

Also I noticed that very little information was given about Ben Reymenants, Maksym Polejaka, Bruce Konefe, and Vsevolod Korobov. There was a quick blub from Ben and Mikko and they mentioned him for about 10 seconds but I don't think they painted the full pictures about what these guys did behind the scenes. These guys all laid A LOT of new line with the support from the Thai Navy and basically were just shy of making it to the chamber be for the British Team finally decided to get back in the rescue after quitting and by luck the line was almost to the kids so they just needed to the final push.

Don't get me wrong not trying to down play or discredit the British Team they are all absolute hero's!! but I just think that the spot light was put on them because they actually found the kids however I think there is a second side to the story and a lot of credit was not given to some of the other members who laid a lot of the ground work.

I learned to cave dive in Thailand. Both of my instructors were in this doc. I heard a lot of first hand accounts from their perspectives. I haven't met Rick, so it was interesting to see things from someone else's perspective. Really good film.

I am assuming Ben and Mikko were you instructors, you should ask them about the rescue and ask them to tell you there story. They are both very very humble people and have not interest in adverting much about what they did and are not in it for the fame but there side of the story is interesting.

Is there another service who has The Resuce that is not Disney +?
I have all the poplular ones. Disney wishes they were among those LOL.

Enjoyed watching it. As a cave diver I was surprised to see the dive equipment and configurations used by the rescue divers. Definitely not the DIR setups I am use to seeing in Florida caves.

Exploration cave diving is a different animal. These guys are not diving in pristine FL caves where you just rock up to the parking lots throw your kit on and just follow a golden line. They are hiking miles into remote places or even helicoptering in, climbing through mud, mostly SRT access, very narrow restrictions, almost 100% chance you return in 0 viz. Alot of stuff they need no one makes and its not standard caving diving kit so they make it themselves, look at all the cool stuff Andy Goring makes and sells for sump diving. Or look at all the different homemade rebreathers all these guy have made. I really like the dual meg that Harry and Craig made

The kind of diving these guys are doing is non standard so it does not fit into the GUE/DIR configuration and that configuration is just not practical. These guys just find what is most practical for them, its not about how it looks its about how it works.

Exploration cave diving is a different animal. These guys are not diving in pristine FL caves where you just rock up to the parking lots throw your kit on and just follow a golden line. They are hiking miles into remote places or even helicoptering in, climbing through mud, mostly SRT access, very narrow restrictions, almost 100% chance you return in 0 viz. Alot of stuff they need no one makes and its not standard caving diving kit so they make it themselves, look at all the cool stuff Andy Goring makes and sells for sump diving. Or look at all the different homemade rebreathers all these guy have made. I really like the dual meg that Harry and Craig made

The kind of diving these guys are doing is non standard so it does not fit into the GUE/DIR configuration and that configuration is just not practical. These guys just find what is most practical for them, its not about how it looks its about how it works.

I can certainly appreciate the differences. Thoroughly impressed by all of these divers.

Locally, I'm familiar with Karst Underwater Research or WKPP which I believe would be considered "exploration" cave divers. They are laying line where no one has been, diving deeper, and longer than any holiday cave diver would dream. You can see some their videos here: Karst Underwater Research
The equipment and configurations they use are more in line with DIR. Perhaps the big difference is they aren't sump diving.

I also enjoyed listening to a podcast of Edd Soresnson describing his rescue of one of the U.K. diver's who was part of the Thai rescue team when he was trapped in a Tennessee cave. During the interview Edd mentions some equipment differences between what Edd uses and the U.K team.

Harry is a ledged! Absolutely amazing heroism and wiliness to sacrifice everything for the lives of strangers and you know if things went wrong with his plan to anesthetize the kids all fingers and blame would be pointed directly at him and the news would have spun it against him. No would would even think to look at what he was sacrificing and trying to accomplish.

Also I noticed that very little information was given about Ben Reymenants, Maksym Polejaka, Bruce Konefe, and Vsevolod Korobov. There was a quick blub from Ben and Mikko and they mentioned him for about 10 seconds but I don't think they painted the full pictures about what these guys did behind the scenes. These guys all laid A LOT of new line with the support from the Thai Navy and basically were just shy of making it to the chamber be for the British Team finally decided to get back in the rescue after quitting and by luck the line was almost to the kids so they just needed to the final push.

Don't get me wrong not trying to down play or discredit the British Team they are all absolute hero's!! but I just think that the spot light was put on them because they actually found the kids however I think there is a second side to the story and a lot of credit was not given to some of the other members who laid a lot of the ground work.

I am assuming Ben and Mikko were you instructors, you should ask them about the rescue and ask them to tell you there story. They are both very very humble people and have not interest in adverting much about what they did and are not in it for the fame but there side of the story is interesting.
The story of the Thai rescue can be told through the eyes of many. But if it had not been for the altruistic nature of the Belgie and French cave divers to answer the call for assistance, none of those teenagers would have made it out alive. It is only through their fearless endeavors that inspired the others to follow. Any junkie can administer a needle, although, vasovagal syncope may have been a concern at the time. Ingesting Valium would have sufficed. Would you consider sedating a teenager ready to participate in a tandem parachute jump at 14k feet? Would you sedate teenagers contemplating a roller coaster ride at an amusement park?

The story of the Thai rescue can be told through the eyes of many. But if it had not been for the altruistic nature of the Belgie and French cave divers to answer the call for assistance, none of those teenagers would have made it out alive. It is only through their fearless endeavors that inspired the others to follow. Any junkie can administer a needle, although, vasovagal syncope may have been a concern at the time. Ingesting Valium would have sufficed. Would you consider sedating a teenager ready to participate in a tandem parachute jump at 14k feet? Would you sedate teenagers contemplating a roller coaster ride at an amusement park?
Are you certified? A medical doctor? Formerly Scuba Client out of Perth? A nurse anesthetist? An anesthesiologist? Or sinply simply far out of your microcosm of awareness that the board considers you a troll?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom