Natalee Holloway - Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliforniaDiver.com:
I guess they can put them in jail for one hundred and something days before actually charging them with anything..... for some reason... I think they would not be in jail "yet" if they were in the U.S. without specific evidence to hold them.... for what we only read or hear in the media... doesn't seem that it is anything but circumstancial :06: (spelling).
Yeah, under Aruban law they can be held for up to 170 days without charges. In most US States the law is 72 hours. This is why you often don't see arrests until there is enough evidence for a trial.

My wife and I just returned from Aruba the Sunday after Natalee's disappearance. We travelled all over the Island and found the people very friendly (locals) and never felt threatened but we are always cautious while travelling and don't put ourselves in less than ideal situations if we can help it.

I just hope they find this young gal.

Michael

Parrothead_Diver:
Yeah, under Aruban law they can be held for up to 170 days without charges. In most US States the law is 72 hours. This is why you often don't see arrests until there is enough evidence for a trial.

Now someone help me out here.... this situation in known world wide.. so everywhere I go, someone seems to be talking about it...everyone has a story....

I met this lady who said asked me if I remember the story of a girl who dissappeared one night from a cruise ship... she said that her father saw her for the last time standing on a balcony looking at the water late one night... the next day she was gone. They said there have been storys about sightings somewhere in "Egypt" (as the story goes) asking for help and people taking her away... supposedly.... other people (girls) have dissappeared off of cruise ships... now, if this is true.... before this happened in Aruba, if you would have asked me..I would have said they fell in...

I have never heard about this mysterious cruise ship kidnappings.... this story was leading to slave trading.... Personally.... I think I would have heard this before it was on the news.... has anyone? :06: Or is this how the rumor mill gets started when someone wants to add their twist?

Just curious,

:icon5:

CaliforniaDiver.com:
My niece went on a "Spring Break" Trip this year, and I
told her to always buy her own drink and never let it leave your sight... don't know
what someone can drop in it.

Over-protective,

sadly, these days that's not overprotection. it's reality.

one of the many horrible things about rape drugs is that some of them can
be deadly when mixed with alcohol...

...i dont' know... people scare me

Rick Murchison:
Dollars to donuts that girl was sold and is now a sex slave. She is likely thousands of miles from Aruba now (or about three hundred miles, but the top two likely places are half a world away).
Slavery is alive and well in the 21st century.
Rick
I'd say less likely this happened to her. Sure, slavery is alive and active in the world, including sex slavery of youngsters. Countries such as Africa, Saudi Arabia, even the USA are homes to the 1 in about 300 people in the world currently inslaved.
However this is an isolated case in Aruba, or so it seems. Not likely human trafficing IMO.

More likely I'd say is that she was a victim of ODing from excessive alcohol and drug usage, I wouldn't doubt she was unaware she'd taken anything. Mix a date rape drug with alcohol, sometimes gals die. The perps may have panicked and thrown her body over a cliff into the sea.

here's the latest summary of what is known.

as stated, one of the three young men who took her to the beach that night
admitted that there was sexual contact between him and her in his car.

according to them, they drove her back to the hotel, she stumbled, they tried
to help, she said she didn't need any help, and the last thing they saw was
a security guard walking towards her:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=589&e=1&u=/ap/aruba_missing_teen

Ecstasy and other Club Drugs, GHB, Rohypnol, the Date Rape Drugs

"You don't see, you don't hear, you don't know anything is going on. Nothing. You're like a dead person." - Drug rape victim

Rohypnol and other similar drugs are prescribed as sleeping pills, but when in the hands of a sex abuser, can put both women and men in extreme danger. Fifteen minutes after being slipped into a drink, the drug renders the victim helpless. Temporarily paralyzed and unable to fight back or cry out, the victim is easily manhandled out of a club or bar looking like just another person who has had one too many. On waking, the victims don't know where they were, who they were with, or what they did. They are left only with the physical impact of their ordeal and terrifying moments of lucidity which can haunt them for the rest of their lives.
From A & E Network Investigative Report
http://www.preventcrime.net/DateRapeDrugs.htm

I'm sure this kind of crime occurs often in resort areas. You get young people who are unaware that they are mixing with predators. Many girls may never know they've even been raped.

Unfortunately she's dead.

Aruba police official: Suspect confesses to killing missing teen
ORANJESTAD, Aruba (CNN) -- One of three young suspects arrested Thursday in the investigation into the disappearance of an Alabama teenager has confessed to her murder, a senior police official said late Friday.

The suspect has agreed to lead police to the body of 18-year-old Natalee Holloway, the police official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/10/missing.teen/index.html

MoonWrasse:
Unfortunately she's dead.

Aruba police official: Suspect confesses to killing missing teen
ORANJESTAD, Aruba (CNN) -- One of three young suspects arrested Thursday in the investigation into the disappearance of an Alabama teenager has confessed to her murder, a senior police official said late Friday.

The suspect has agreed to lead police to the body of 18-year-old Natalee Holloway, the police official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/10/missing.teen/index.html

Perfect example of media coverage.... cnn.com says someone confessed to killing missing teen, foxnews.com says someone confessed to "something bad happened". Another man arrested this morning.... PM says no one has confessed to killing her that he is aware of.... it is a perfect case of "who done it".

With the other reports... I am still hoping she is alive. :15a:

CaliforniaDiver.com:
Perfect example of media coverage.... cnn.com says someone confessed to killing missing teen, foxnews.com says someone confessed to "something bad happened". Another man arrested this morning.... PM says no one has confessed to killing her that he is aware of.... it is a perfect case of "who done it".

With the other reports... I am still hoping she is alive. :15a:

Late last night (around 11:30pm)FoxNews was saying there was a confession and that one of the three teems was leading them (the authorities) to the victum. Fox changed their story this morning....

Back
Top Bottom