Natalee Holloway - Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Not anymore. They arrested the 3 guys this morning that "dropped her off"

I just read this on foxnews.com as well. At least the arrests make more sense... I tend to agree with another post as well,... if she is alive... and no ransom was asked... she is probably not on the island... my guess. :shakehead

Yeah. Aruba is only 18 miles off the coast of Venezuela, which is known for kidnappings. As well the same thing happens in Columbia (the next country over) where there are reports of about 3500 kidnappings a year...

You could sneak someone off the island of Aruba to Venezuela 18 miles away in a generic deep-V small (under 25 feet) fishing boat very easily.

I agree with mike.
I think she's probably in Venzeula.
This case hits home to me. Natlee is only a year and a half older than I am, and I've been to Aruba 5 times.

I really hope they find her alive, but the outcome does look rather grim. I've heard a lot about kidnapppings in Vezeula. It's probably rather easy to get there from Aruba depending on what kind of boat you're on you can probably reach South America in 45 minutes to two hours.

The facts of this case seem a little foggy. Some people say they saw her leave the bar with the 3 guys. I don't know about you, but if one of my friends was leaving with three guys I'm pretty sure I'd try and stop it from happening.

CSD1129:
I agree with mike.
I think she's probably in Venzeula.
This case hits home to me. Natlee is only a year and a half older than I am, and I've been to Aruba 5 times.

I really hope they find her alive, but the outcome does look rather grim. I've heard a lot about kidnapppings in Vezeula. It's probably rather easy to get there from Aruba depending on what kind of boat you're on you can probably reach South America in 45 minutes to two hours.

The facts of this case seem a little foggy. Some people say they saw her leave the bar with the 3 guys. I don't know about you, but if one of my friends was leaving with three guys I'm pretty sure I'd try and stop it from happening.

This was from Foxnews.com as well; "The Kalpoe brothers told police that Van Der Sloot became intimate with Holloway at the California Lighthouse beach before they dropped her off at her hotel. They told police Holloway had been drinking heavily and was drunk, and then when she got out of their car in front of the Holiday Inn, she stumbled and fell to the ground.

When one tried to help her up, she pushed him away and said, "I can stand on my own!"

So why was this person intimate with her (was she alert) when she probably didn't know what she was doing, expecially when she can't even walk even after this.... If what we read in the media is true.... there should be charges brought up on this guy anyway.

My niece went on a "Spring Break" Trip this year, and I told her to always buy her own drink and never let it leave your sight... don't know what someone can drop in it.

Over-protective,

John

John,
I don't think you're over protective at all. My parents constantly tell me this. Some American kids seem to go crazy in places that there are no drinking ages. Aruba does not enforce a drinking age (St.maarten doesn't either...on both the french and dutch side)

I just hope that Natlee is ok, wherever she is. I hope they find her soon. It's so sad when something like this happens.

Aruba only had one homicide last year. It's a great island for families, and I hope that this recent event does not destroy the island's tourism.

CSD1129:
John,
I don't think you're over protective at all. My parents constantly tell me this. Some American kids seem to go crazy in places that there are no drinking ages. Aruba does not enforce a drinking age (St.maarten doesn't either...on both the french and dutch side)

I just hope that Natlee is ok, wherever she is. I hope they find her soon. It's so sad when something like this happens.

Aruba only had one homicide last year. It's a great island for families, and I hope that this recent event does not destroy the island's tourism.

I like the island too... I really like the people... its been a few years but a pleasant experience... just hate when things like this happen anywhere... incredible how much happens everywhere.... need to give my kids GPS implants... (joke)

FYI, and especially for young girls, the dirty truth is that there are more slaves worldwide today than at any time in the history of the world. The slave trade in young girls (teenagers) is especially brisk.
Listen to your Uncle Ricky:
Travel in groups.
Don't do drugs.
Don't get drunk.
Watch each other's back.
Rick

I still think that Aruba is a great place to go, even in light on what's happened here. I've been to ALL the places mentioned in Aruba and it's very safe. I wouldn't have a big problem letting my kids go around there by themselves (together).

On the flip side of this conversation, I know they have two different sets of people in jail. The 2 security guards and the 3 guys she left the club with. I have no idea what evidence they have against them as at this point none of it's been publically released. With that said, I wonder "right now" what their odds are of getting a "fair trial" with all the public outcry over this incident and all the media coverage? (Not saying whether or not they are innocent or guilty, but they are under a lot of pressure by the US, the media, the Aruba government, the public, etc to fry these guys.)

mike_s:
I still think that Aruba is a great place to go, even in light on what's happened here. I've been to ALL the places mentioned in Aruba and it's very safe. I wouldn't have a big problem letting my kids go around there by themselves (together).

On the flip side of this conversation, I know they have two different sets of people in jail. The 2 security guards and the 3 guys she left the club with. I have no idea what evidence they have against them as at this point none of it's been publically released. With that said, I wonder "right now" what their odds are of getting a "fair trial" with all the public outcry over this incident and all the media coverage? (Not saying whether or not they are innocent or guilty, but they are under a lot of pressure by the US, the media, the Aruba government, the public, etc to fry these guys.)

I guess they can put them in jail for one hundred and something days before actually charging them with anything..... for some reason... I think they would not be in jail "yet" if they were in the U.S. without specific evidence to hold them.... for what we only read or hear in the media... doesn't seem that it is anything but circumstancial :06: (spelling).

mike_s:
they are under a lot of pressure by the US, the media, the Aruba government, the public, etc to fry these guys.)
I don't think so... they are under a lot of pressure to find the girl. They are under a lot of pressure to do something visible, and may very well have arrested some of these folks at a lower threshhold than normal. But I think my desires are pretty much the desires of most folks, which are "Find the girl before she's gone beyond reach, then take whatever steps are required to make sure it never happens again."
That implies finding and punishing the perps, but it doesn't include punishing anyone who isn't a perp - and at this point we don't know whether "these guys" are the bad guys or not. We do want to make sure they divulge whatever they know...
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom