Narrow Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, its from a Broxton or "Trade Mark" reg. I'm thinking about 1954 or earlier.

The "square" or sharp angles and as cast surfaces are what you look for. Here is one from a Trade Mark I did last year for a friend.

Squareyoke.jpg
Pete,

This yolk would probably be from an "DX Overpressure Breathing" regulator, USD's first single stage regulator. I say that because, from the angle you took the photograph, it looks like a single stage regulator, and not a DA Aqualung or DA Navy. I don't think that the yolks off their two stage regulators would fit on a single stage, even if they look outwardly the same. The DX Overpressure Breathing regulator did also have those yolks. However, I may be mistaken, as if the angle is different and it shows that this is a two-stage regulator, then you are correct.

SeaRat

Pete,

This yolk would probably be from an "DX Overpressure Breathing" regulator, USD's first single stage regulator. I say that because, from the angle you took the photograph, it looks like a single stage regulator, and not a DA Aqualung or DA Navy. I don't think that the yolks off their two stage regulators would fit on a single stage, even if they look outwardly the same. The DX Overpressure Breathing regulator did also have those yolks. However, I may be mistaken, as if the angle is different and it shows that this is a two-stage regulator, then you are correct.

SeaRat

No, its from an early two stage, here is another view:
RickDH2.jpg

The bottom can is not correct and had a Mistral tag on it, I'm still looking for a correct removable horn for it.

When I rebuilt it, the second stage parts were missing and I got them from Bryan. But, it did come with a good condition single piece hose/mouth piece assembly.
RickDH3.jpg

Pete,

I was wrong; that is definitely a DA Aqualung, probably a Broxton unit. The top box is quite old, looking at the configuration of the horn. It is interesting that it is oriented with the LP orifice toward the inhalation horn--it looks like the can was not meant to be that way, as it would be closer if it were. Someone apparently filed off the tab that kept the top box oriented away from the inhalation horn (I did that on an Aquamaster tox box to see whether it enhanced the breathing of a DA Aqualung or not--it didn't seem to).

SeaRat

Pete,

I was wrong; that is definitely a DA Aqualung, probably a Broxton unit. The top box is quite old, looking at the configuration of the horn. It is interesting that it is oriented with the LP orifice toward the inhalation horn--it looks like the can was not meant to be that way, as it would be closer if it were. Someone apparently filed off the tab that kept the top box oriented away from the inhalation horn (I did that on an Aquamaster tox box to see whether it enhanced the breathing of a DA Aqualung or not--it didn't seem to).

SeaRat

The early Broxton cans did not have index tabs and you can't just rotate it 180 degrees because the horseshoe won't line up with the diaphragm tabs because the hold on the can for the body is not centerally located.
You can use an Aqua Master can on a DA Navy. The index slots in the DA Navy and Aqua Master bodies are in the same location referenced to the second stage orifice. The DA Navy can has the tabs on the same side as the inhalation horn and the Aqua Master can has them on the opposite side from the inhalation horn.

No, its from an early two stage, here is another view:
RickDH2.jpg

The bottom can is not correct and had a Mistral tag on it, I'm still looking for a correct removable horn for it.

When I rebuilt it, the second stage parts were missing and I got them from Bryan. But, it did come with a good condition single piece hose/mouth piece assembly.
RickDH3.jpg

Pete, it looks like the horseshoe will not align with the diaphragm tabs in that configuration, the body will need to be rotated 180 degrees.
That is a Broxton body without the index tab cut outs and a can with no tabs. They are a pain to get the body ring tightened while keeping the can and body correctly aligned. The 2nd stage has to be on the opposite side from the inhalation horn for the horseshoe and diaphragm to align

Here is the can and the body after cleaning. There were no tabs on the can and no tab pockets on the body. The can had 2 cracks, which you can see one of. DB fixed them and re-chromed it for me. The main spring bolt was two piece but was not chromed. So it is not a 49/50 but could date from 51 to 53.

IMG_0374.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom