Narragansett Beach Barge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medic0506

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a newer diver and I'm looking to dive the barge. I was wondering if anyone had any advice? Plus, I heard there is talks of raising it soon, anyone have any news on that? Any pictures would be awesome too. Thanks!

-Jim

Was on/in it many, many years ago. Lots of sharp edges, tight spaces...and lots of sand. I suspect it's even worse now. I'd go back, stay on outside, and pick a very calm day...high tide slack.

It gets talked about a lot, but nothing ever comes of the raising conversation...

Good Luck!

Hoa!

its an easy beach dive, as the post above says, go on a calm day, first time i was on it i got my *** kicked by the surf, even inside i got bashed around! shallow shallow dive! lots of beams in there, "X"shaped beams etc, relatively plenty of room inside and plenty of big holes to enter/exit, last time i was in there there was a ton of crabs, and some hefty Tautogs but regretfully i left the gun back in the car that dive,
I'd like to dive the barge again some time. correct me if im wrong but i think its located between lifeguard chair 5 and 6, you cant miss it!

I agree about doing it on a calm day. Its very shallow so the surge could really beat you up in less than ideal conditions. I'd also suggest is doing it before "beach season" at which point that beach will have so many people on it that it will look like a seal colony.

If you are unsure about how to find it, walk down to the beach some day at low tide and you will pretty easily be able to see where it is from shore.

RIOceanographer:
I'd also suggest is doing it before "beach season" at which point that beach will have so many people on it that it will look like a seal colony.

Apparently any diving after memorial day to labor day has to be done after 6 due to the "beach season". ...and from what I hear the lifegaurds are nazi's about diving from the beach when they are on duty. I even heard a story of someone anchoring near it and the ocean nazi paddling out and telling him to come back after 6.

With that said... does ANYONE have any pictures?

Actully the barge is a good free dive. I did that I thinhk 6 years ago and had a good time as it was calm and the water was clear. I say give it a free dive if youre up for it you may be able to walk on the beach from road parking.

Medic0506:
Apparently any diving after memorial day to labor day has to be done after 6 due to the "beach season". ...and from what I hear the lifegaurds are nazi's about diving from the beach when they are on duty. I even heard a story of someone anchoring near it and the ocean nazi paddling out and telling him to come back after 6.

With that said... does ANYONE have any pictures?

That beach is the WORST! No one told me when I paid to park and brought my kids there that only surfers were allowed in the water. My kids and I were actually told to get out of the water. (several times as I don't listen well:) )

Sorry about the hijack, just had to rant. As you can see I'm still bothered about it.:wink:

johnnyseko:
No one told me when I paid to park and brought my kids there that only surfers were allowed in the water.

You should have said "How am I supposed to surf here? This beach doesn't even have wi-fi!" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom