Narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a way to simulate the initial symptoms of narcosis on land? I may be overly concerned about narcosis but feel it would be better if I knew firsthand what the effects feel like?

I have fifty dives under my belt (yes, I know I'm still a newbie) and have never noticed the symptoms of narcosis. On my last dive trip I was fortunate enough to have an instructor willing to take me to 150 and 170 on different days. Still did not experience any of the symptoms that I have read or been warned about, despite consciously looking for them. The instructor told me that the initial effects of narcosis is a lot like being on gas in a dentist office. Haven't been there and haven't done that. Also, I doubt they would let me have the experience for non-dental reasons.

Before anyone jumps on me for violating recreational limits, I am not a dare devil diver. I just don't want to get narc'ed and not be able to recognise it.

Take it from someone who used to follow the Grateful Dead in the 80's, and has been to 200 feet on air...

It's like when you're at the dentist, and he gives you nitrous oxide. That's about as close as it gets :wink:

With that said... DON'T go to 150 feet with less than 50 dives. That's foolish. really.

I've never experienced anything I'd call "feeling" narcosis.

I have recognized its affects, though. Generally, my memory/attention goes to hell (look at my gauge and immediately have to look again type of stuff), and sometimes I get nervous. I attribute this to narcosis because reducing depth improves things.

Never have I felt anything close to euphoria, or had a inclination to talk to the fishies.

I would not say that the effects of nitrous oxide would mimic nitrogen narcosis very closely, nor is nitrogen narcosis due to nitrous oxide. Nitrogen narcosis is due to elemental nitrogen.

Sorry I misread the Wikipedia Article (Nitrogen narcosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which said that "Narcosis produces a state similar to alcohol intoxication or nitrous oxide inhalation."

So in reference, it's similar to nitrous oxide inhalation, not equal to. Pardon the correction.

Get trained and dive within your limits.

I've never had the experience but I hear it's a little like having a few too many drinks. That's pretty easy to simulate on land.

I've never had the experience but I hear it's a little like having a few too many drinks. That's pretty easy to simulate on land.

Not really. It was always a poor comparison.

The only way it's similar, IMO, is like I said. With alcohol you don't always feel drunk until you try to so something and fall on your ass. Same with narcosis. You may not feel it, but you are in fact narced, and when you do something it shows.

The Nitrous Oxide comparison always gets to me. I have inhaled lots of nitrous oxide. We used to get medical grade for our cars, and hooking up many a system someone always wants to play with it. I have never felt like that diving. That would be scary as hell.

I would not say that the effects of nitrous oxide would mimic nitrogen narcosis very closely, nor is nitrogen narcosis due to nitrous oxide. Nitrogen narcosis is due to elemental nitrogen.

Interesting, I always assumed because both were caused by the Meyer-Overton effect that the impairment would be similar.

First of all thanks for all of the comments.
I guess all divers have at least a small bit of dare devil in them otherwise we would probably never put a second stage in our mouth.
Currently, I have no plans to go deeper than 130 ft. again,without getting tech training. The walllooked the same at 170 as it did at 130 only darker.
My respect for the narcosis is why I have gradually increased my depths even before getting to 130.
Still I feel knowledge is power and experience trumps knowledge,which is why I violated recreational limits only under the supervision of Tec instructor.

Next time you've at been at 100fsw for a while try tying some knots, doing some math, the world may start to look different to you.

Never really noticed narcosis until I started taking pictures. Did not take pictures on land so was learning how to use a camera while diving. Past about 80 feet this was/is virtually impossible. Trying to figure out what settings to use in manual mode on a DSLR, for a new situation was pretty much impossible. I had to have a kind of cook book in advance that I could use. Things I know how to do I can manage at depth - figuring out something both new and complex is all but impossible. As most tasks when diving are not complex I thought that narcosis was not an issue. Now I know differently and can recognise that I truly am seriously impaired on deeper dives. Not an issue - until it is and you need to be clear headed to resolve a problem.

Even if you think you are not narked at depth you are. The degree of impairment may be more or less significant but it is there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom