Narced at Ninety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RimGreaper

Reaction score
Ok. First of all, I'm not cave or cavern certified. So I'm gonna take a hit for this, I'm certain.

But before you do, please keep in mind this was at Vortex, before the stop sign, well before the grate. That being said, it probably wasnt the best idea anyway.

So there i was, we entered the cave at the back of the cavern and began our ingress. The whole point of the "mission" was to see the stop sign, and come back. For those of you unfamiliar with the place, Vortex is a spring with a cavern entrance around 55 ft cave entrance in the back of the cavern at around 70ft (from what i remember). The cave turns 90 degrees from the entrance and runs down to a room (about 15 feet high from what i've read) with a bottom of 120' . There is a locked grate in that room that leads to the underground water system with penenrations to 150 feet depth (not linear). From what i hear you need sidemounts to do that. But i digress.

There is the typical Grim Reaper, Prevent your own death, nothing in this cave worth dying for, sign at the cave entrance and a stop sign (a real road sign) at about 95' depth. Rope lighting runs from the cave entrance to the sign and i think a permanant cave line runs beyond that to the room.

We had no guideline, 3 lights between us (instead of 3 lights per diver), and had no idea what the rule of thirds was. More than strokery, indeed. We were on air, and well within the limits of that gas, so we did SOMETHING right.

The cave, up to the stop sign, is wide enough for 2 divers to penetrate side-by-side, but not very tall, crawling room, maybe. But we were neutrally bouyant and doing fine. We approached the sign, i found out later and stopped. In the light of the rope lighting i became aware my mask was foggy. Very foggy. I couldn't see the sign, i could barely see my buddy. I could make out the ropelighting though. My buddy was shaking his light around and pointing. I looked and saw nothing.

Then my buddy motioned for us to exit. We followed the rope lights back to the entrance and exited the cave. Following a safety stop, we surfaced and exited the water. During our surface interval, my buddy asked if i had seen the sign. Thats what he had been pointing at. Nope.

I knew well how to clear my mask. I was comfortable doing it. Why hadn't I?

After some thought, I believe I might have been narced. At 95ft, thats about 2 martinis, as Martini's Law goes. I've heard that cold water (or cooler water) narcosis isnt the warm euphoric feeling as usually described, but more of a feeling of dread (or can be). But i remember the situation, so i'm not sure.

Lessons learned:

1> Had this been somewhere other than Vortex, we could well be dead. No guideline+Silt out = Lost as hell = out of gas.

2> If you have a problem, even a minor one, notify your buddy. Had I done that, i might have fixed the problem before exiting.

3>Narcosis (if thats what it was) increases with task loading.

Not real serious here, but it could have been.

RimGreaper

Co2 greatly increases narcosis, so if you work hard or are stressed you'll have problems. But, IME, narcoisis is seldom predicatable - for me I can feel some narcosis at about 80 or 90'.

Pretty stupid dive you guys pulled there, what gives? Are you unstable or something? you might what to see a head doc 'bout that. Have you ever know anyone who has died in a cave? hmmmm.....drowning does seem like a nice way to go, not too TERRIFYING

From what I've seen, everyone narcs in their own way. One of my regular buddies is usually very playfull, spinning on her head, doing loops and rolls, etc.. When she gets narced she tends to get very serious. She starts looking at her guages every minute or so.

Joe

Hey RimGreaper,

Like already mentioned, Narcosis can hit us at any depth, can often depend on how much diving you've been doing. I know that i gotta start my dive season off shallow and work my way deeper by the week to avoid being naarced.
But I'm with mass diver on this one. You said at the start that you weren't cave trained, but yet you still went into a cave(regardless how small it was).

Dangerous dude. Hope you got the fright you needed to stop you from doing something like that again. Glad your ok.

SF

OK. So you entered a cave without relevant training. And knew enough about cave diving to also know you were not properly equipped to do so. Probably monumentally stupid rather than suicidal.

My question: Why would you post the proof here for the world to read rather than keep it to yourself and give thanks for remaining alive?

theskull

theskull:
My question: Why would you post the proof here for the world to read rather than keep it to yourself and give thanks for remaining alive?

theskull

Maybe to give someone else cause to pause ???

My hat's off to anyone who can publicly admit to making a mistake ... especially if they learn something from the experience ... (like not doing it again) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Maybe to give someone else cause to pause ???

My hat's off to anyone who can publicly admit to making a mistake ... especially if they learn something from the experience ... (like not doing it again) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Perhaps. I wholeheartedly agree with your point of admitting to making mistakes and letting others learn from the error. But I believe telling tales of going cave diving without proper training or equipment and just being a little spooked about it afterward gives false encouragement to others who might try it as well. "Oh, that other dude was fine till he got narced with a fogged mask."

This diver was well enough educated to know it was wrong. He exercised the worst possible judgment in proceeding with his "mission" to see the "death" sign. Then chose to publicly tell the story. In my mind, yet another unwise choice.

So, not totally disagreeing with you, NWGrateful, but would still like to hear from the diver in question why he chose to post the story.

theskull

theskull:
OK. So you entered a cave without relevant training. And knew enough about cave diving to also know you were not properly equipped to do so. Probably monumentally stupid rather than suicidal.

theskull

Skull,

Geez man. Its called lessons learned.

To my credit i know much more now than i did then.

I take it you're in favor of pretending no mistakes are ever made?

theskull:
Perhaps. I wholeheartedly agree with your point of admitting to making mistakes and letting others learn from the error. But I believe telling tales of going cave diving without proper training or equipment and just being a little spooked about it afterward gives false encouragement to others who might try it as well. "Oh, that other dude was fine till he got narced with a fogged mask."

This diver was well enough educated to know it was wrong. He exercised the worst possible judgment in proceeding with his "mission" to see the "death" sign. Then chose to publicly tell the story. In my mind, yet another unwise choice.

So, not totally disagreeing with you, NWGrateful, but would still like to hear from the diver in question why he chose to post the story.

theskull

Skull,

Believe me, I'm not encouraging what I did. It was stupid.

You can die kids.

Do some reading.

I posted it here to learn and help others learn. I could lie if you prefer.

But whats the point then?

_Greaper

Back
Top Bottom