Narc'd? First Deep Dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I did my first deep dive over the weekend, to around 126'
I definitely felt the martini law in effect; however, my buddy, with many dives under his belt, denied having ever felt "narc'd". Was this just machismo (LOL) or do some people really not feel the effects? Anyone? :confused:

You feel it, but you just muddle through and start your way back up.
Practice skills so they become muscle memory so if the dive starts to hit the fan you are prepared.
Be careful.
K

It can be very situation specific. I've felt completely un-narked at 130 feet. I've felt head-spinning stoned out of my mind at a cold 80 feet. Conditions can make a huge difference.

I think, just like alcohol, some people feel it sooner and more intensely. The first time I knew I was under the effects was at a demonstration that measured the time it took to complete a simple math problem at 15 feet. Then I tried the same trick at 90 ft. It took 3 times as long.

Did I feel Narc'd? I don't recall, but I have felt the effects as shallow as 75 feet. I have no idea if this is 'normal', but it is something I am always aware of at 70 feet and deeper. Allow extra time for simple tasks and do not attempt matrix calculus deeper than 70 feet, at least not me.

Stan

joh:
So I did my first deep dive over the weekend, to around 126'
I definitely felt the martini law in effect; however, my buddy, with many dives under his belt, denied having ever felt "narc'd". Was this just machismo (LOL) or do some people really not feel the effects? Anyone? :confused:

It can all vary from person to person, dive to dive and day to day.

If you are having a mild happy narc and the dive goes well it may go unnoticed.

If you are blitzed on a bad dive or have a dark nark you will know.

It is said that divers can learn to cope with it over time but I don't,know if that's foolproof.

Pete

I went to 130 feet in warm, clear water on my 10th dive, and didn't notice anything. On the other hand, I've had three episodes at 100 feet in cold water and poor visibility where I've frankly hallucinated -- scary.

A couple weeks ago I was taking an AOW course and during the surface intreval I was listening to some of the more experienced divers talking about being narced. One of them said he has never been narced; his breathing just gets louder and his bubbles tend to get louder when does deep dives. There was a few seconds of that akward silence and then a lot of chuckles. Then one of the divers spoke up and said what he was experiencing was the typical first signs of being narced.

Interesting,

S. Nagel

Narcosis affects the same person differently pretty much every time.
Some days you can go to 40m and not "feel" narc'd other days you'll feel it badly at 30m.

Sometimes it'll be slight, sometimes a lot.

Factors like tiredness, speed of descent, cold, low visibility, darkness, worry about the dive, CO2 retention can all affect the severity and type of narcosis.

In the UK generally i feel the buzz at around 32m pretty much every time. Abroad i can be 50m and not notice it but if working hard notice it at 30 and so on.

Pretty much everyone is impaired to some degree below 30m whether they notice it or not.

Back
Top Bottom