Narc'd? First Deep Dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fppf:
Everyone gets Narced, no way around it. Even if you don't "feel" it, its there.
Have them do a simple math test and see what happens at 130 feet.

I was at 126 in 45 degree water, found a really nice port hole. My wife said I cleaned the outside off really well, then started knocking on it and talking through my reg. She asked "Ok?", I said "Ok" we went on with the dive. Got back on the boat, she said "Did you see the anchor? It was next to that port hole." I said, "What Anchor?"
Now that made me giggle. My 5th deep dive was on the Eber Ward in the Straits. I remember going down the line (the water was a beautiful blue) and thinking what a cool white shell that was on the deck of the boat (vis was really good). The closer I got (and the deeper) my mind couldn't comprehend what was actually on the deck. It was only when I got to the TOILET did I realize I was narc'd. Got back to the boat after the dive, and my husband was chuckling. Said he decided to stay a little closer than normal when he saw me trying to comprehend the whole situation. Only took a couple of seconds and I was fine, but for that brief moment, the mind really plays tricks.

I was a SCUBA diving instructor for many years both YMCA and PADI certified. Most of my dives were inland lakes, with visibility in the 3-10 range. I vividly remember my first dive to 100 ft fw. The visibility was excellent in a strip mine in Western Missouri. I dropped down easily to 100 ft and was immediately hit with a total loss of vision. Scared the beJesus out of me. Not being able to see can be really hairy anywhere but at 100 ft, it was devastating. I panicked and headed for the surface, got out of the water, took off my gear and gave up for the day. Several years later, I dove with in instructor associated with Hal Watts, the one time deep diving on air record holder, in a sink hole in Florida. My goal was to gain experience with deep diving. We dove to 160 ft. The visibility was excellent but once again Narcosis hits me first with an apparent total loss of vision. I communicated to my buddy that my vision was "GONE" and that it was time to go up. I was hanging on to his arm like a blind man and could have SWORN we were going down. Several minutes later, my vision cleared and we were above 100 ft. We were using double tanks, with decompression meters on our arms. We spent almost 30 minutes at 30 ft decompressing after our "bounce dive" to 160 ft. It was in interesting experience but not one that I am eager to repeat. I have to agree with others, for the casual diver, 50 feet is a reasonable maximum. I have to say, I haven't spent enough time at depth to experience the other affects of Narcosis, but the loss of vision and spatial awareness is enough to get me to try to avoid it.

Holy thread revival batman. What's a "decompression meter?"

amazing how many people staggeringly drunk don't think they are so maybe we are poor self-analysts of our impairment. what did buddy see or notice ? take any objective tests ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom