Naples Offshore Spearfishing Charter Need Spots Filled Wed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to try them on the smoker. I never liked AJ’s until a buddy on the charter dock had some smoked AJ and I tried it and took the whole bag lol.
Yes, smoked is the only way I can stomach it. I haven't tried it seared, only overcooked.

Is this the same species of Amberjack that I can buy in the fish market? If so, I have eaten plenty of it, fully cooked, and I love it.

Is this the same species of Amberjack that I can buy in the fish market? If so, I have eaten plenty of it, fully cooked, and I love it.
Probably. It's quite overfished, although not by recreational guys. I've never heard of it being sold, but Amberjack is amberjack. The put a limit on this year.

Probably. It's quite overfished, although not by recreational guys. I've never heard of it being sold, but Amberjack is amberjack. The put a limit on this year.

Yea its one per person now I think it used to be 2. You also wanna make sure you are eating the right cut if your going to just sear it. I was seriously amazed how good it was when cooked MR or lower.

That one was perfect eating size too, 41 inches

Great. It's what we started eating when we stopped eating grouper because it's overfished.

I think we need to go to a Uber model for fish. Its the commercial guys that wipe out the fishing, not the rec guys. I don't mind the limits personally I never get close to them. I don't like to freeze my fish so I won't.

But if rec guys could sell their catch, and charters could sell their catch, this would put the big net draggers out of business. Its so backwards how its set up now, to help commercial and hurt the rec guys. It wouldn't be hard to set up an uber reporting app and this would bring fresh local fish to shores and it would be a lot better for the fishery.

But as usual big government has created a system that favors big business at the populations expense.

I think we need to go to a Uber model for fish. Its the commercial guys that wipe out the fishing, not the rec guys. I don't mind the limits personally I never get close to them. I don't like to freeze my fish so I won't.

But if rec guys could sell their catch, and charters could sell their catch, this would put the big net draggers out of business. Its so backwards how its set up now, to help commercial and hurt the rec guys. It wouldn't be hard to set up an uber reporting app and this would bring fresh local fish to shores and it would be a lot better for the fishery.

But as usual big government has created a system that favors big business at the populations expense.
vacuum sealers are your friend! I can give you grouper months old and you wouldn’t ever know tbh

vacuum sealers are your friend! I can give you grouper months old and you wouldn’t ever know tbh
I've eaten black grouper as old as 6 months, and while I wouldn't make shashimi out of it, rare on the grill it's just fine.

Wookie and IncreaseMyT,here below are the quota and catches in the Gulf and Atlantic.Pretty sure rec guys help overfish them.Historical catches show similar trends altho with most rec guys not reporting catches it's hard to tell exactly what they caught so NMFS just pulls numbers out of the nearest nether region it seems.

As far as killing amberjack, it's not that difficult most the time.They approach slowly and often give you a broadside shot as they eye you.The trick is to hit the spine directly behind the eye a few inches.

Gulf Commercial ACL Homepage :: Southeast Regional Office
Gulf Recreational Landings Homepage :: Southeast Regional Office
S. Atlantic Commercial ACL Homepage :: Southeast Regional Office
S. Atlantic Recreational Landings Homepage :: Southeast Regional Office

Fish Rules App

I love this, seeing as things change practically daily.

Nice pics! I love AJ, gotta keep working on my shoulder. It's a lot better in this last year, I've gone from pulling bands to actual weights. <sigh> maybe by next summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom