Naples Offshore Spearfishing Charter Need Spots Filled Wed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yea I knifed him multiple times. He was a fighter though, he drug me all over down there lol. One of the other guys even came over and tried to cut his gills and bleed him out.

He just wouldn't go quietly into the night, one of the best fights ive had. They bleed like crazy too, so its kind of sketchy when your on a wreck lol.

I kind of stoned him, he froze up, but for some reason when you put them on the boat they wake up again sometimes.

Last edited:
Read you report --viewed your pictures …
My trigger finger has gone into a spasm..
But 2000 miles and several diving generations separate us

it is noted you are using Riffe guns from SoCal

Fish come to life on a boat because they are out of the water and are "suffocating" as a human would do when submerged in water

Very presentable fish ! A hearty congratulations ! Keep up the great spearing and posting

Sam Miller III

Last edited:
Nice report. That wasn’t a bullseye or the fish would have rolled over dead. Shot was too low. A good holding shot, but will not kill the fish.

Aj always seem to wake back up if not killed You only need to knife them once, if you do it right.

Cutting the gills in the water can make a ton of blood, reduce visibility to near zero, excite and attract any sharks and if you are working in a cloud of blood, the chances of getting bit are increased a lot.

Once you find the right spot for the knife and punch through the protective bone, it will be lights out for the fish in 2 seconds, but you have to find the spot. Multiple stabbings in the head have little effect and cutting the gills may improve the quality of the meat, but it does not slow the fish down for about 2 minutes, which can seem like a long time.

Big jacks can be fun if the sharks are not an issue.

Read you report --viewed your pictures …
My trigger finger has gone into a spasm..
But 2000 miles and several diving generations separate us

it is noted you are using Riffe guns from SoCal

Fish come to life on a boat because they are out of the water and are "suffocating" as a human would do when submerged in water

Very presentable fish ! A hearty congratulations ! Keep up the great spearing and posting

Sam Miller III

Thank you!

We def mostly use 2 different types of guns here, Riffe or Koah. They seem have the best aim and are the most popular. Thanks for reading!

Hyoom5F.png

Last edited:
Aj always seem to wake back up if not killed You only need to knife them once, if you do it right.

Yea man no matter what sometimes the AJ's won't die. I have "stoned" a few and knocked the top of their head right off and been too high and watched them swim off with a big chunk of their head missing, so I have become accustomed to shooting them just above the gill so that doesn't happen. But yea this one could have been 3/4 of an inch higher for sure. One of the harder fish to kill IMO.

They don't call them reef donkey's for nothing :drunks:

Last edited:
Well yes, giving them a hair cut does little to slow them down and it is better to get a holding shot than to hit them too high, but a perfectly placed shot will roll them.

If you insert the knife at the correct point, they will instantly die. If that does not happen for you - then you are not doing it perfectly. They all will die instantly with the correct placement of the knife.

Shots on the black line behind the eye will roll them, but if you are off the mark and shoot too high by an inch, then the fish is wounded and lost. So, depending on your abilities and closeness and situation, it may make sense to try for a holding shot (which gives you a drastically bigger target) compared to a very small kill shot.

Also, a better shot is one that goes from the rear forward as opposed to the shot shown in the picture which is at a 90 degree angle. An angled shot gives you more bone to hit, and delivers more shock and increases the chance of a kill shot.

I know you are just learning, and all this is easier said than done, but they can be landed quickly when shot perfectly.

I've gotten my butt handed to me many times on those fish, they are powerful and can easily wrap you up in shooting line.

Show us the video!

For sure will do, I am headed to Marathon today so will get the video cut early next week and post it up :flagwaving:

I have never been interested in shooting a reef donkey. I'm not a good enough shot, and in Texas they will kill you.

So I've heard (never seen) of folks who shoot GA on the rigs and the GA wraps them up and both the diver and the GA die together on the rig. Other stories include wrapping the diver against the "cookie cutter" barnacles and having the barnacle take a perfect round plug out of your wetsuit and hide. I never wanted to have fish dip badly enough to kill an GA, and I don't know if they are good enough fixed any other way.

I'll spend my time in the gulf shooting red snapper, thanks.

I hear you! They can def pull you around, I bet they could stick you with that spear too.

Crazy as it sounds reef donkey is AMAZING to eat! Seriously its like tuna, the problem is people overcook it. You have to cook it like tuna and just sear the outside. Then its amazing.

I know crazy to hear, I always had a different perception of them too. I would have rather a pompano but there was a guy on the boat yesterday that wanted an AJ really bad and ask me if I saw one would I shoot it so I obliged. Also probably wanted me to be the first to shoot one on the wreck lolol. I am heading to the keys today so I was mostly a bystander on the trip, I didn't have time to clean and eat fish.

But next time you have a chance to give an AJ a try and cook it like tuna, do it!

You have to try them on the smoker. I never liked AJ’s until a buddy on the charter dock had some smoked AJ and I tried it and took the whole bag lol.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom