Nanaimo vs West Vancouver diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nanaimo Dive Outfitters runs a nice charter boat out of Departure Bay, used them many times, been happy everything. They have a long list of sites, including multiple wrecks, deep walls and reefs.
My buddies and I also used Nanaimo Dive Outfitters last June. They provided excellent service.
We wanted to do a checkout dive before doing some wreck diving. They recommended Madrona Point Dive site for this. It is a fantastic shore/wall dive thats not too deep. Up to about 27m and 10C. So much marine life! One of my videos (warning...I'm no Spielberg)

Side note, we arrived during the record heat wave. Putting on a drysuit with moderately heavy thermals in 38-40C weather was crazy. I'm sure I lost a few pounds. :)

The next couple of days were spent on their boat diving the HMCS Saskatchewan, HMCS Cape Breton, Rivtow Lion and Clarke Rock.
Scubicon

Welp...after looking into prices I might just head over to Nanaimo.

Sea dragon is $130 for a 2 dive charter. Two tank rental is $50/day for steel (plus they said air fill not included, $15 per tank). No discount renting for multiple days. Weights are $10 a day. So all together $220 without tax for a 2 dive charter..ouch!

Welp...after looking into prices I might just head over to Nanaimo.

Sea dragon is $130 for a 2 dive charter. Two tank rental is $50/day for steel (plus they said air fill not included, $15 per tank). No discount renting for multiple days. Weights are $10 a day. So all together $220 without tax for a 2 dive charter..ouch!
Post #22 above yours cost me and my two buddies $346 each, all-in. That paid for weights, 6 - HP100 tanks of 32% and the boat. Note - we dive Sidemount.
- day 1, 1 long shore dive at Madrona Point
- day 2, 2 x boat dives at the shipwrecks mentioned
- day 3, 2 x boat dives. 1 shipwreck and one at Clarke Rock

As an added bonus, you're close to BOCCA CAFE to pick up some Nanaimo Bars :)

Post #22 above yours cost me and my two buddies $346 each, all-in. That paid for weights, 6 - HP100 tanks of 32% and the boat. Note - we dive Sidemount.
- day 1, 1 long shore dive at Madrona Point
- day 2, 2 x boat dives at the shipwrecks mentioned
- day 3, 2 x boat dives. 1 shipwreck and one at Clarke Rock

As an added bonus, you're close to BOCCA CAFE to pick up some Nanaimo Bars :)
Very similar to what were planning. We want to do 1 day of shore diving and 2 days of boat diving. I called earlier and it came out to the same price.

I'll be sure to check out bocca cafe!

Since the wedding is in Tofino, have you considered diving Campbell River? It's north of Nanaimo. Beautiful dive spots with tons of life.
Oceanfix.ca is who I'd recommend.

I had not heard about that. That definitely is a red flag and should never happen.
Did any details about this ever surface? I live in Vancouver and have gone out with them a handful of times, and they always seem careful and professional, with good communication between the skipper and back of boat. Do you know if it was Kevin driving when this happened? What site was it at? Any more details would be helpful

Back
Top Bottom