Nanaimo vs West Vancouver diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had not heard about that. That definitely is a red flag and should never happen.
She's alive and recovering. May or may not have permanent damage, I'm not a privy to her medical situation

Cannot recommend the sea dragon after their last accident - a prop strike backing into a diver in the water. Should never happen.
O_O

Just a couple of days ago they posted they're looking for a captain.. Is there an accident/incident post? I cant find anything.

What other shops would you recommend?

O_O

Just a couple of days ago they posted they're looking for a captain.. Is there an accident/incident post? I cant find anything.

What other shops would you recommend?
This accident was last year and thoroughly buried... There may be a pending lawsuit, I dunno.

For Howe Sound you are outa luck. 1) Shore dive, 2) bring or buy your own boat, 3) head over to Vancouver Island.

For Howe Sound you are outa luck. 1) Shore dive, 2) bring or buy your own boat, 3) head over to Vancouver Island.
Damn... How do the charter boats run in BC? is there a divemaster in the water or is it self guided?

Damn... How do the charter boats run in BC? is there a divemaster in the water or is it self guided?
Self guided. Conditions are not suitable for a herd dive. You can hire a dm as buddy.

There is also Marc at New World diving. You can charter him out of HSB but you better be completely self sufficient for everything. Its more like a taxi service. I prefer Marc. Smaller boat and pick you up on the government dock so no gear schepping like the Seadragon which is at the furthest berth.

Even in dive resorts like Gods Pocket you are on your own. No guides in the water unless you want to hire them as an additional cost (which I have never seen). The only way to get a guide would be to join a dive shop’s trip and even then it would not be the same kind of guide as you would see in the tropics unless you were to arrange it in advance.

I think the entire west coast of the US and California is basically a taxi. Though when I was diving off the Beachhopper II in Monterey, they had a DM, but that was for surface rescue scenarios, as he stayed on board.

You'd get a briefing ahead of time describing the site. But navigating you'll be on your own. As others have said, there are no in-water DMs here.

I had forgotten about Marc. I've been on his boat, it has a roof, is covered and I would say he seems like a knowledgable skipper. Bring all your own gear, lunch, water, snacks etc.

If you are going to be on the island anyway, dive here, not Vancouver. Nanaimo has some amazing shore dive sites. Nanoose bay, one seems to be able to find a GPO or Wolf Eel in every other crack. Spend your time shore diving, or SEA Dive Charters operates out of Deep Cove, near Victoria. Diving the Saanich Inlet and waters north of Sydney. The other week they did a cpl of wrecks, including the HMCS Mackenzie. I do not know the boat operators near Nanaimo.

Back
Top Bottom