Name that critter ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a dive today at Long Caye Wall at Lighthouse Atol, I came across a fish that I don't know what is.

It was in roughly 30ft of water, acting very much like a trumpet fish, hiding upside down beside a piece if coral as I came by.

It could actually be a juvenile trumpetfish, but he was stubby and tall, not thick. Similar colour and 'pattern' as a trumpetfish (and tan/grey seahorse). It's profile/silhouette looked more like a sharp nose puffer, but with a big tail.

My thought was when I saw it was, holy $hit, I finally found a sea horse on a dive.

All images I've found with google, look like trumpetfish. Long, skinny and cylindrical.

Again, I could have just found a very juvenile trumpetfish ....

Sadly my camera is sitting back in Calgary ...

BRad

Juvenile Orange Filefish (Aluterus schoepfi)? Big tail, profile, and head down swimming posture fit, and juveniles are quite thin, mottled pale orange-tan- brown

Pipefish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syngnathus_acus_Schlegel.jpg

Can you estimate any dimensions?

Can you estimate any dimensions?

About 3" long, +1" tall, 1/4" thick ...

Not at all like the picture DD posted. It didn't look like any trumpet fish (i.e., long and slender). My apologies in my first post, meant to say that juvenile trumpet fish, look like adult trumpet fish, unlike what I saw.

But looks like I found an elusive (to me) Juvenile Filefish as suggested by Agilis. Thanks Agilis!

BRad

Back
Top Bottom