Myrtle Beach Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be making a trip to Myrtle Beach this summer (late June to early July). Though it's still early, I've begun the process of reserving boat dives for the trip.

I get that diving weather can be hit or miss in NC and SC. That and dive schedules may change between now and then. I'm more hoping to just get something down at this point (reservation wise) and will bank on flexing based on conditions when the time comes.

Are there any dive sites that you would classify as "must see" for this area? Are there any dive sites that you would not bother with? Collecting friendly sites? ex. Shark teeth.

A few sites that caught my attention on the Coastal Scuba website are "The Sherman," "Barracuda Alley" and "The Governor." I saw a couple of those mentioned in some of the other SC diving threads.

I have an AOW cert, so I can hit some of the deeper sites that I'm seeing mentioned here and elsewhere. However, I would be content with hitting shallower sites, for the sake of minimizing boat transit time and maximizing bottom time.

I would appreciate any input that you can provide. Thank you.

Off Myrtle the farther out you go the clearer it gets. Inshore there can be a lot of sediment in the water. Some of the deeper wrecks are in the Gulf Stream so it's warm. Of course in the summer it is anyway. Wear a skin for the jellies and when you get caught under them - purge your reg to clear a path back to the boat. I dove there over the 4th in a t-shirt/board shorts some years ago.

Some of the wrecks you might see Sand Tigers also which I believe shed teeth often. I'm not a tooth collector but I believe there's a site there where you can find prehistoric teeth in the ledges - they sell them around town.

For something you don't see everyday - there's the subway car dive. Dozens of Army tanks, NYC subway cars among hidden gems off Grand Strand coast

We dove with Express Watersports - a few miles south in Murrell's Inlet.

If they're still there - the Ripley's Aquarium at Boardwalk on the Beach had Leafy SeaDragons in a small tank in one of the smaller rooms. Only place I've ever seen them.

Thank you for the write-up. I was checking out the Express Watersports website too. When I looked yesterday, it appeared that they did not have any dives planned for a few of the days that I'll be in town. Maybe they'll expand their charter offerings in the next few months. I will see about doing a couple dives with each operator to do my part to stimulate the local economy.

I'm definitely game to check out the APC's and the subway cars. I will do some research on what dives are near Murrell's Inlet (ex. Bill Perry).

I'll have to see about getting a dive skin. I've currently got a 5mm and a 3mm shorty. The 3mm shorty is obviously not going to do me any favors if I come across some jellyfish.
Thanks again.:cheers:

You don't need much. I think I have this one - $30
You just need enough to keep them from sensing an organism and firing.

It might look a little odd but I've seen people wear them under shorties.

NeoSport Unisex Lycra/Spandex Skin Suit

It's not real common - I think we did 3 days of multiple dives and only saw them once.

We dove the Perry - I didn't think it was all that great. Not much of a swim-thru. The BP25 is adjacent to the subway cars - it's a bigger wreck - around 300'. The Vermillion is even bigger but we didn't get out there.

I sort of liked Tugboat/Airplane but it was so murky that day they told us to stay on the line to/from the airplane. I don't think the vis was 20' - you didn't see the wreck until you were near it. The plane is a A-6.

Check out Coastal Scuba Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving - Coastal Scuba They are just a few minutes north of North Myrtle Beach. Dive a couple times a year with them and they always have some great trips. They also have a list of the wrecks in the area, along with details of the ship.

Yup. I found them. I'm already signed up for one day of diving with Coastal Scuba.

We dove the Perry - I didn't think it was all that great. Not much of a swim-thru. The BP25 is adjacent to the subway cars - it's a bigger wreck - around 300'. The Vermillion is even bigger but we didn't get out there.

I sort of liked Tugboat/Airplane but it was so murky that day they told us to stay on the line to/from the airplane.
I don't think the vis was 20' - you didn't see the wreck until you were near it. The plane is a A-6.

I'd like to check this one out. It's funny...no two websites have the same information on this dive. Some say it's an A-6...others an A-7.
ex. Express Watersports website refers to it as an A-6, but has a picture of an A-7 next to the dive information.

Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving Sites & Prices | Express Watersports

You don't need much. I think I have this one - $30
You just need enough to keep them from sensing an organism and firing.

It might look a little odd but I've seen people wear them under shorties.

NeoSport Unisex Lycra/Spandex Skin Suit

It's not real common - I think we did 3 days of multiple dives and only saw them once.

That's a good call. I'm a fan of being covered up. I got a 3mm shorty for when I was diving in Florida and I'm pretty sure that I got into something that stung while I was down there. I had intense itching on my lower legs (which were uncovered) and a few little spots that looked like bug bites on my arms.

Come to find out (from reading online later)...some of the sites I dove had some fire coral and other stinging stuff. The stinging on my legs only lasted a few days, but I've still got the few little bumps on my arm a couple months later.

The unpleasant truths about fire coral

When diving on the Spiegel Grove, most divers enter the water, pull themselves along a line attached from the boat to the mooring ball line and then descend the mooring ball line — very handy to use when there are currents and for safety stops to vent off nitrogen during ascents.

The downside of this is that some of the mooring lines attached to the Spiegel Grove have picked up a few passengers such as fish hooks and certain types of small fire coral and other stinging critters that can make a diver’s day very unpleasant if grabbed or bumped into by an unprotected arm or leg.

I had gloves on, but I'm guessing that I accidentally brushed up against the mooring line.

I only know it's an A6 because they told me. It's pretty covered over so I would not have been able to tell - and I know military aircraft slightly.

I have heard good things about Express Watersports! Havent gotten a chance to dive with them but will if i return to the coast!

Express is probably one of the best charters on the East coast. I have docked near their boat for a few years and they are very professional. Capt Andrew teaches videography and photography in the off season in exotic destinations. He is very knowledgeable about the area. The boat is huge.

Back
Top Bottom