My Worthington E14157 failing hydro - what do I do now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it is $670 for the XS Scuba ones. The valves alone are an extra 80 bucks each. They are on back order right now for the 100's

You must of got a really good deal, I was seeing people selling them used with 06 DOB for 275 if they didn't need hydro. They sold too I couldn't believe it.

I guess it would depend on where you are at but from what I saw here it wasn't worth the money to me. It is hard to even get little 63 AL for much of a discount used if they don't need hydro.

I thought that they are required to get the owner's permission before condemning a tank?

Well it is $670 for the XS Scuba ones. The valves alone are an extra 80 bucks each. They are on back order right now for the 100's

You must of got a really good deal, I was seeing people selling them used with 06 DOB for 275 if they didn't need hydro. They sold too I couldn't believe it.

This one has a pro valve and a boot, which at least I'll keep.
I thought that they are required to get the owner's permission before condemning a tank?

Apparently not. And I admit it's the right thing, although I'm on the receiving end of it.

Is it normal to stamp the serial numbers out if it fails hydro??

What I saw stamped out is E14157 3442, have not removed the rest of the tape yet. Can't say if it's normal, this is my first time dealing with it. I assume they had to make some kind of rejection mark, and I agree they should not have asked my permission.

Yes. I don’t have the text in front of me, but my recollection from the VIP training is that we needed permission to render the cylinder physically incapable of holding air, such as damaging the threads, but that we are responsible for marking it condemned. As a DOT facility, the hydro tester may have other rules or responsibilities. The main takeaway from the training was that it would be a good “best practice” to have the customer sign such permission, contingent on results, when dropping off the tank.

that's usualy part of what you agree to when you drop the tanks off for hydro. letting a dive shop condemn your tank for a failed VIP is a different issue (though you usually agree to that as well when you give it to them).

yes

Here is the E14157 Specs for Hydro Testing (enclosed PDF File). Link.

I sure hope they followed it because if not, the cost you your tank @Scuba-74 .
I would call the hydro facility and ask the tester if they are aware of the spec for retesting these tanks.

Attachments

• retest_procedures.pdf
    284 KB · Views: 205
Here is the E14157 Specs for Hydro Testing (enclosed PDF File). Link.

I sure hope they followed it because if not, the cost you your tank @Scuba-74 .
I would call the hydro facility and ask the tester if they are aware of the spec for retesting these tanks.

Thanks Compressor, this document is already referenced here twice, in my OP, and in one other post.

I'm sure they didn't follow this recommendation (a.k.a. "the round out"), but several other posters wrote that this are not the required procedures, but mere recommendations from the manufacturer.

Had I known about them beforehand, I of course would have insisted on them. Heck, had I known about them beforehand, I would have never risked bringing the tank to a non-scuba focused facility. But alas. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Sorry @Scuba-74. I must have missed it. I did not see the PDF file or link.

several other posters wrote that this are not the required procedures, but mere recommendations from the manufacturer.
Well that is real sad. Fail a tank cause they don't want to follow the recommendations? You have my full sympathy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom