My Worthington E14157 failing hydro - what do I do now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overall, although I'm still obviously upset that this has happened, at least I have some peace of mind that perhaps the tank legitimately failed the test, as opposed to just being needlessly condemned by someone who hasn't got a clue.

Happens occasionally. I've had both steel and aluminum tanks fail visuals (which I do myself) and sometimes hydro (which is done by a 'fire extinguisher' requalifier).

What was the original price you paid for it?

I've had both steel and aluminum tanks fail visuals (which I do myself)

I was mentally ready for it to fail a visual, as it probably wasn't used for about 10 years, and only let out a weak hiss of air when I opened the valve, so it was stored essentially empty.

What was the original price you paid for it?

I picked it on craigslist for $75.

I take my tanks to Scubatoys (Dallas TX) for hydros/visuals. The key to success is taking your tanks to tech oriented dive shops or at least long established recreational dive shops who know which tank testing facilities actually have a clue about testing/pre stretching those galvanized steel tanks. I've got about $ 10K invested in my tank fleet (almost all steels) and given that new steel replacement tanks average about $ 400 each (plus possible sales tax and fright expenses) I certainly don't need a clueless/lazy twit to needlessly condemn any of my great condition tanks!

I had the same issue just today and so bummed I didn't do my research too... I use my old Worthington steel x8 119's & 130's as gas bank tanks. They have all had hydro's after born on date too. Now that I'm certified in VIP O2 cleaning, I figured I would go directly to a fire place for my hydro's to save a little money. Boy was I wrong.. Not only did they do the test 3 times on each tank, they charged be for 3 tests per tank and condemned one of them. Ouch... I'm still calling around to see if other places do just one test, which I thought was the case on this one but hell, this sucks.

The tests they did on my 119's HP and 130's HP which are DOT-SP14157 were as follows

Fill to 4675 PSI
Fill to 4675 PSI
Fill to 5250 PSI

After reading this thread through and doing a little research it does look like Worthington does recommend the 90% ramp up for a total of 3 tests. My failed hydro probably was just a bad tank, just bummed I paid a ton of money.

The tank was "born" in 2006

Such a terrible luck.
I would still buy a used steel before a new one. Obviously is better to get one freshly hydro'd or with a pass/fail guarantee, but as long as that factor is reflected on the price, I think it works out.

did you print and tape the worthington notices to your tanks to make sure they were tested correctly? eg 90% pre stretch and rejection by stamped REE not permanent expansion?

Changes to the hydro retest — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

https://www.xsscuba.com/s/worthington_notice.pdf

https://www.xsscuba.com/s/retest_procedures.pdf

I did not tape the procedure but they showed me the notes and they did test for REE and the 90%... They actually gave me a photocopy of the testers notes for all 4 of my tanks. They expanded to 4675psi twice then to 5250psi for the final test. I believe the tests were accurate, and that my tank just failed. What I'm more pissed about over the failed tank is they charged we for 3 tests per tank!!! Needless to say I will never use that facility again.

I have never heard of charging 3x.

My place charges more for scuba tanks compared to industrial cylinders but an al80 is the same price as an exemption steel. Its not like they have to drain and refill the water. UP pressure, down pressure, test pressure with the same fill

BTW current retail price is $35/tank for scubas

I have never heard of charging 3x.

My place charges more for scuba tanks compared to industrial cylinders but an al80 is the same price as an exemption steel. Its not like they have to drain and refill the water. UP pressure, down pressure, test pressure with the same fill

BTW current retail price is $35/tank for scubas

I agree. This place was $30.74 per tank but they charged me three times. I just finished writing the president and sales manager of the company to see if they would hear me out and perhaps issue a partial refund. I've definitely learned my lesson. If I'm going to bypass a dive shop then I will interview the facility and ask procedures and costs before I drop them off. My mistake is the person said they "might" be a little bit more because its multiple tests, but did not indicate 3 times.

I found this thread and figured I would add to it since its still relevant today. Hopefully someone else can learn form this.

I was mentally ready for it to fail a visual, as it probably wasn't used for about 10 years, and only let out a weak hiss of air when I opened the valve, so it was stored essentially empty.

I picked it on craigslist for $75.
Nice price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom