My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y'all feel free to critique, please! :D

Item 1 - "Happy feet". That was deliberate, as I seemed to keep coasting toward the camera. I didn't want the tank dismount move me forward and knock into my camera. Still, I need to do this hovering motionless.

Yay Jax! Much improved over (if I remember correctly) the video Rob made of you in Fla.
You must've been practicing.
BTW, That must be one COLD pool. I would die if I wore my Fusion in the pool here.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks for the video. Very interesting. I'm not qualified to comment, as I don't understand the relevance of the drill.

I got my new "butt plate", however; I didn't get a chance to hit the pool and reconfigure yet.:(

Y'all feel free to critique, please! :D

Item 1 - "Happy feet". That was deliberate, as I seemed to keep coasting toward the camera. I didn't want the tank dismount move me forward and knock into my camera. Still, I need to do this hovering motionless.

Left cylinder wasn't bungeed. That's why it hit when you did both at the same time. Also why it's not parallel to your body. Otherwise, looks great! :D

Reactions: Jax
Yay Jax! Much improved over (if I remember correctly) the video Rob made of you in Fla.
You must've been practicing.
BTW, That must be one COLD pool. I would die if I wore my Fusion in the pool here.

It IS cold! :cold: It was 78o! :laughing:

Left cylinder wasn't bungeed. That's why it hit when you did both at the same time. Also why it's not parallel to your body. Otherwise, looks great! :D

:facepalm: I didn't even notice it fell out . . . I sure have a ways to go! :doh:

Think restricted opening - one of the best known demos is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp58Wrz4Uk]Wreck Diving in Sidemount configuration - YouTube[/URL].

However, I think Steve is cheating. :blinking: He's like 6' something and diving aluminums . . . makes it all look super easy!

Wow, that was amazing. I've seen other videos of SM use and dove once with Jimi when he was breaking in his SM kit. I just figured, ok, it's probably an easier way to dive doubles. But this video really did tie the "how and why" together.

The first thing that caught my attention was his clean, uncluttered kit. I didn't see any danglies anywhere, not even an SMB. AI computer? I tried to find the SPG but must have missed it. The whole dive looked effortless. This one's been marked as a favorite on my YT.

Thanks.

Edit: Looks like he lost a upper band or something from one tank. Didn't seem to cause a problem, but what's going on with that?

Early in the clip, when he's head down, you can see the two SPGs mounted on 6" HP hoses. If he's not diving in a mixed team, thus not needing a long hose to donate, the upper bands are just to secure the LP hoses during transport, and provide a place to clip a double ender in case a hose clamp fails, so 1 on each side is sufficient. If you look closely, you can see the MSR hydration bag in the small of his back, which is all he's using for floatation(this clip predates the Razor wing). He certainly is graceful in the water! Nice guy to talk to, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom