My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely!!! :sappy:

None of this would be possible if it weren't for the folks I've met and chatted with through the board, especially Rob! Hopefully, this thread will help others learn through my mistakes :)doh:) so they don't have to make them all themselves.

I am super glad I tried this out in the pool, because I did a whole lot better in the actual boat dive. :D

Many thanks to the Desert Divers of Tucson and their Mexican partners, Ocean Sports. We were on their boat, the Ocean Spirit.

First, I hooked up the left bottle with the bungee'd reg, and the inflator hooked in. I had a rope with a dog clip that I had the crew clip onto the tank clip and the pony clip to hand down the bottles. My biggest fear was a dropped bottle!.

With a good hold on the left tank, a nice giant stride and I was IN! And almost sprang right back out because that water was freezing (60*) compared to the almost 90 air temp!!! My instructors were laughing at me. :blush:

I went to the side and Ernesto handed down the other tank - this time, it was fully clipped on and both tanks bungeed around their valves, and the long hose routed properly. That was a bit of an exercise as my fingers seemed to lose sensation quickly. Same procedure with the ponies.

Getting back out was the same procedure in reverse. I was at the side of the dive platform, unhooked the bottom clips on the ponies, and then made sure my hand was securely in the strap before making a positive hand-off.
For the main tanks, I unbungeed the valves (again, a struggle, because I could feel anything!), and unclipped the bottom. Then I swung the right tank on top of the step I could reach, and the guys pulled it up. While they took that, fins off, handed up then I headed up with the last tank. The crew quickly unclipped it and took it away. I left them a BIG tip! :D

Well you are certainly doing better than me on the boat dives. For me its always been about extended range - I wimped out and purchased a rebreather. Just completed an ANDI Level 2 CCR course and last week did a 70' 74 minute dive which is my longest dive to date.

Dwayne.

Congrats, Dwayne!

Has anyone experimented with repositioning the wing on a Nomad XT? Trying to trim out with 120s and a little heavy at the feet with dive rite exp fins. I was thinking that moving the wing down a hole on the transpac would put more lift at the butt. Would prefer not to have to use trim weight on the shoulders if possible since the extra weight isn't necessary otherwise. I plan to play with this over the weekend if time allows but figured I'd ask incase I could avoid any known issues along the way, or if perhaps this is not a good solution to a trim issue.

Two things immediately look like possible issues:
There are tabs on the wing that the waist belt goes through which can't be used if the wing is repositioned. I don't think they are absolutely necessary though, since the wing gets captured under the softplate. It would be easy to sew another set on if needed.

Also, if the wing is moved down the bottom of it will end up over the upper portion of the tank attachment bars on the butt plate.

I am thinking of ditching the padding on the inside of the harness. Seems floaty, takes up space and dries slowly.

Dive Rite recommends adjusting the tank band up or down the tank. I dive HP 100s and have had success moving the tank band. Check out Dive rites web site and videos.

Has anyone experimented with repositioning the wing on a Nomad XT? Trying to trim out with 120s and a little heavy at the feet with dive rite exp fins. I was thinking that moving the wing down a hole on the transpac would put more lift at the butt. Would prefer not to have to use trim weight on the shoulders if possible since the extra weight isn't necessary otherwise.

The trim weight on the shoulders doesn't have to be much. I have 1lb on each side. Usually 2lbs on each side is recommended threaded into the harness straps. It really helps to keep you horizontal and a couple of lbs doesn't add that much.

If you can't get trimmed by adjusting the cam bands (which you probably can't with 120s since they're long tanks) trim weights are necessary. While moving the wing might help a little, it means you have to keep air in them to stay horizontal. You really need to be able to maintain horizontal trim with no air in the wing at all. Moving the wing down and using air to lift your feet up is akin to putting air in the feet of your dry suit to keep them up. I don't need the extra weight either, but the trim weights make maintaining horizontal trim effortless. In fact, getting out of trim requires effort. I recommend you try the trim weight before making major modifications to you rig.

Wow, that was fast, Thank you for the quick responses.

I tinkered with the cam bands quite a bit but will try again to make sure I didn't miss the sweet spot.
Probably not the best tanks to start learning SM with, but they are what I have on hand now (waiting on some 85s). As stated the 120s are long, a full 4" longer than an HP100 or LP95.
With no shoulder weights I can grab the valves and shove both tanks forward about that distance (4") and things get really nice, but then the valves feel too far forward. I assume the valves should be under the armpits or behind depending on trim needs, they seem to be in the way when forward of the armpits.
Good point on not relying on the air in the wing to offset trim. So I guess I'll leave the wing where it is and try something different.

I did zip tie some snap bolts to 3lb weights (only thing I had onhand) and clipped them on the shoulder d-rings. 3lbs helped a bit, 6lb seemed about right. That said, just seemed like too much, maybe that's just the way it is with the longer tanks. With 3lbs things weren't horribly out of wack but I just felt like I had to keep moving to keep my legs up, so bad enough.

Gale force winds here so no Gulf this weekend, heading to the pool to play some more.

You definitely want the valve and 1st stages to be tucked under your arms. If you place them in front of your shoulders, then the cylinders are too low or angled down. That could also be an issue. Since the cylinders have the most concentrated mass, they will sit horizontal in the water and your body will respond depending on how they are rigged up on you. If you have the valves too far from your arm pits, you will be in a foot down position.

Back
Top Bottom