My Venture into GUE - Another view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that before an official Primer outline was established, the content varied from instructor to instructor with some teachers likely never doing more than a one-on-one with prospective Fundamentals students to gauge their readiness. Now it definitely seems more involved but, as you mentioned, may still suffer from a general lack of awareness in the larger diver community.

The stated goals of the Primer appear to be:
-Give divers an introduction to the GUE organization and diving ethos
-Improve the participants' overall control in the water
-Develop comfort, competence, and confidence
-Establish diver preparedness for GUE Fundamentals training.

Having just finished reading all 28 pages of this thread, I would like to add three comments.

This is probably the best thread on GUE Fundamentals that I have read, kudos to everyone who has participated!

While I agree that the course is meant to be challenging, especially for someone that had less than 30 dives, it was also the first scuba class that I took that was not fun.

For me, the primary--even more certain of this now with more time and hindsight--reason that I was having no fun were the very long, 12 hr days. I believe that anything more than 8 hrs per day is unproductive and 6 hrs would be ideal. I understand the rationale in terms of instructor time is money, but I believe the course would be vastly better if it were 30-40% longer. I really believe that time compression is the cause of all the "hell week" and "boot camp" references.

IMO, the opposite was a challenge in the class covered in this thread. We did not spend nearly enough time in the water to put newly demonstrated skills into practice.

But I agree with the longer course duration, or better yet, two course blocks with opportunity for team practice in between.

Reactions: Jax
Yes, of course. I re-read my post and I guess I was referring to an overall standard between the Fundamental's rec and tech passes. I think Jax might argue that even the "Rec" pass standard was higher than expected and perhaps wasn't as prepared from the outset for all that it entailed.

Well, I've been musing over your postings, and how to address them, and I just have to say bluntly, You are wrong.

IMO, the opposite was a challenge in the class covered in this thread. We did not spend nearly enough time in the water to put newly demonstrated skills into practice.

But I agree with the longer course duration, or better yet, two course blocks with opportunity for team practice in between.

Absolutely!

I was told by former students that first, we'd get our equipment squared away to standard. Then, the form, fit, and function of the equipment on us would be evaluated and tweaked, and we (our equipment) would be perfectly trimmed out. Then we would learn HOW to do things, (expect to get on a table or a floor and have your feet manipulated through the kicks), and we would practice all of this in the water. And then we would go on to the next skill.

It didn't happen.

Frankly, I expected a lot more than less than 40 minutes a day in the water.

Absolutely!

I was told by former students that first, we'd get our equipment squared away to standard. Then, the form, fit, and function of the equipment on us would be evaluated and tweaked, and we (our equipment) would be perfectly trimmed out. Then we would learn HOW to do things, (expect to get on a table or a floor and have your feet manipulated through the kicks), and we would practice all of this in the water. And then we would go on to the next skill.

It didn't happen.

Frankly, I expected a lot more than less than 40 minutes a day in the water.

More time in the water is what I would have liked to see but how can you cover that amount of information in five days. Extend the class to 7 days and water time would sure increase. Of course that's going to cost more and take up more of our time.

Yes, of course. I re-read my post and I guess I was referring to an overall standard between the Fundamental's rec and tech passes. I think Jax might argue that even the "Rec" pass standard was higher than expected and perhaps wasn't as prepared from the outset for all that it entailed.

Well, I've been musing over your postings, and how to address them, and I just have to say bluntly, You are wrong.

Which part is he wrong about?

More time in the water is what I would have liked to see but how can you cover that amount of information in five days. Extend the class to 7 days and water time would sure increase. Of course that's going to cost more and take up more of our time.

My first Fundies class went from 7 PM on Friday till about 11 PM, Saturday from 8 AM till about 10 PM, Sunday from 7 AM till about noon.

My second class was three days ... about 8 AM to 8 PM each day.

I'd have LOVED five days to cover everything ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My first Fundies class went from 7 PM on Friday till about 11 PM, Saturday from 8 AM till about 10 PM, Sunday from 7 AM till about noon.

My second class was three days ... about 8 AM to 8 PM each day

What was the total in-water time for each class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom