My Venture into GUE - Another view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't look near that good on my back kick after Fundies.

Mind if I ask what was the point of having your light on? That swimmer above you must've thought you were looking for something ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

New (backup) battery pack needed to be cycled. Also, shining the light ahead and looking along the beam reminds me to keep my arms up - IF I remember looking at the beam :D

Otherwise, you end up like our class with a gigantic CF that cost us over 50% of the already short in water time. We ended up on top of each other because one would go up (within limits) and the other down (within limits) and without the ability to hover absolutely motionless or being able to back-kick we would then overlap. Now, please recover form that :D

If there's a "standard" problem in GUE-F classes this is it. You're not unique or unusual except that it seems the capacity to have 2 groups even in a pool is much more limited now. What did the extra students do? Sit on the edge of the pool and watch?

The trim on the back kick is fine, the only pointer I can give you is to point your toes up more on the back kick. Your fin tips are ending up below your body, and that'll scoop up silt in real life.

If you can maintain that level of trim and bouyancy when task loaded (SMB deployment, basic 5, etc), you're WELL on your way to a tech pass.

Thanks for the valuable advice.

I'll try to keep the toes more pointed and will stay closer to the floor next time. This way I will feel if the fins are getting too low. I also could nose over a couple of degrees to get in horizontal trim and that would raise the fins as well.

Basic 5 are OK, SMB deployment is fine too but in class we may have to pull it back down so the teammate can deploy and that is another story.

Valve drills still put me a bit off balance and the resulting happy feet are moving me forward. :no: But with the back-kick figured out reverse happy feet should be possible :eyebrow:

As far as team is concerned, we will see when the counter below hits zero.

The trim on the back kick is fine, the only pointer I can give you is to point your toes up more on the back kick. Your fin tips are ending up below your body, and that'll scoop up silt in real life.

If you can maintain that level of trim and bouyancy when task loaded (SMB deployment, basic 5, etc), you're WELL on your way to a tech pass.

Agree, trim is basically fine. Fins on back kick need some work. But mostly seems like trim and possibly buoyancy is taking 90% of your concentration (hard to tell) and will go to hell once task loaded.

Agree, trim is basically fine. Fins on back kick need some work. But mostly seems like trim and possibly buoyancy is taking 90% of your concentration (hard to tell) and will go to hell once task loaded.

Trim and buoyancy is not the problem but remembering to keep the stupid arms up and the head back takes about 98% of my brain capacity - just kidding.

If there's a "standard" problem in GUE-F classes this is it. You're not unique or unusual except that it seems the capacity to have 2 groups even in a pool is much more limited now. What did the extra students do? Sit on the edge of the pool and watch?

Correct.

Trim and buoyancy is not the problem but remembering to keep the stupid arms up and the head back takes about 98% of my brain capacity - just kidding.

I remember joking about duct tape and bungee cord. :giggle:

I remember joking about duct tape and bungee cord. :giggle:

Why do you think am I wearing a hood in 80 degree water? Keeps the noggin floating UP.
How about liners in the gloves? Yep - buoyancy is your arm's friend.

The good news is that I have to wear this stuff anyway on real dives in our neck of the woods.

Reactions: Jax

Seems like that was wasted time in a long day. So you were tired, but every hour wasn't used to its fullest potential.

Reactions: Jax
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom