My Venture into GUE - Another view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also have a strict policy of NOT releasing any video taken on the course to students or anyone else, and part of our instructor agreement is that we make a commitment to do so. This policy exists to protect the students and anyone else who hapens to wander into the frame from hvaing video of their performance circulating the internet against their will. So if you are taking a GUE course rather than a UTD one I'd check with your instructor first about whether or not you can keep the video, and if he or she says yes, you'd better not post about it here :)

He's right, Justin. You should disable the link.

The instructor is not a douche by any means, but he is very insistent on maintaining trim.

He's right, Justin. You should disable the link.

The instructor is not a douche by any means, but he is very insistent on maintaining trim.

I already added a password to the video. I am less concerned about the video itself- I do recall being told we weren't supposed to release. Short term memory loss or something. Anyhow, Anyone with goodtrim will still be able to watch it which probably skirts rules. All these rules and blah blah. :wink:

Reactions: Jax
I already added a password to the video. I am less concerned about the video itself- I do recall being told we weren't supposed to release. Short term memory loss or something. Anyhow, Anyone with goodtrim will still be able to watch it which probably skirts rules. All these rules and blah blah. :wink:

Does this mean you violate the rules if you watch the video while not in good trim? :shocked2:

If I were to have access to watching such a video, it would certainly make me reconsider taking Tech 1 ... wow. They're not kidding around.

Henrik

We also have a strict policy of NOT releasing any video taken on the course to students or anyone else, and part of our instructor agreement is that we make a commitment to do so. This policy exists to protect the students and anyone else who hapens to wander into the frame from hvaing video of their performance circulating the internet against their will. So if you are taking a GUE course rather than a UTD one I'd check with your instructor first about whether or not you can keep the video, and if he or she says yes, you'd better not post about it here :)

I understand and agree with the reasoning behind this policy. However, there should be the option to publish the content if all individuals in the footage agree to have the footage published.

Dumb people never learn.
Normal people learn from their mistakes.
Smart people learn from other people's mistakes.

The best strategy requires that you can see other people's mistakes.

Reactions: Jax
If I were to have access to watching such a video, it would certainly make me reconsider taking Tech 1 ... wow. They're not kidding around.

Henrik

One thing that sort of training does for you is something you might not realize. It changes your mind set in terms of awareness. When you have done a few hundred benign reef dives in which nothing serious happens and even the most serious problem can be handled with relative ease, your mind tends to go into a Zen-like zone when you become all too unaware of what be happening around you. After you do a bunch of training dives like that, you begin to expect trouble, because you rarely go long before you are given some kind of a crisis or two or three to manage. I know that when I am on routine fun dives I am much more aware of my buddy and the potential for problems than I used to be.

One thing that sort of training does for you is something you might not realize ....

I know :) I think that happened to me already during Fundies and I got a good wake-up call again the past weekend.

I think that's a big part of why I found it so enjoyable to dive with likeminded divers in FL. Peace of mind that comes from knowing that your team will be there to help you through whatever might happen - barring maybe Great White attacks and such :wink:

But man, is the instructor piling on the failures. I know I would have "lawn-darted" long before that 3rd, 4th or 5th failure :D

Henrik

Dumb people never learn.
Normal people learn from their mistakes.
Smart people learn from other people's mistakes.

The best strategy requires that you can see other people's mistakes.

IMO This is absolutely wrong, at least in diving it is. How many times did you see 5thDX videos and think "hell yeah, that I can do." How many times did you see others in the water and think, "yep, I can do this!" The point is not only seeing others, it is learning by doing. Sure you can watch a video and armchair what you THINK you would do, but you have no idea how you will repsond until you are forced to. And in any class you learn that it is a far more complicated thing to get multiple people on the same page than it seems like it would be. Point is: you will never properly learn to save your life watching other peoples mistakes.

Watching that tech 1 video was great, but ultimately useless to learn from without instructor guidance, proper education in the proper protocols, and actually going through classes that teach you what you need to know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom