My Venture into GUE - Another view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my limited experience, this "release/non-release of videos" has always struck me as a minor difference between the agencies, primarily because I almost always dive with a camera. My 5thD-X and UTD class videos were given to me if I asked for them. Having taken them with a defined "team" probably made a big difference, since it was easy to ensure that we were all on the same page wrt what to do with the vids. Sometimes, it's fun to go back and see just how far we've come (or how much we've regressed, depending on the day). GUE vids were never released, and the policy described above was clearly explained to us.

UTD course videos are only to be posted publically if the entire class agrees. The class paid for the experience, if they want to post it the agency isn't going to stand in the way based on a blanket no distribution "policy".

Most students don't ask for them in my experience filming (and out of trim at that :D).

I for one am glad my disastrous fundies videos have most likely been overwritten numerous times. Talk about ugly...

Oh, I'm right there with you ... boy oh boy ... there were definitely some ugly moments that I'd just as soon forget :shocked2:

Oh, I think my Fundies videos would be hysterical to watch now. We were SO hopeless. The moment when Steve came over my shoulder with his reg out of his mouth, blowing bubbles and VIOLENTLY signaling out of air, is burned in my memory forever!

IMO This is absolutely wrong, at least in diving it is. How many times did you see 5thDX videos and think "hell yeah, that I can do." How many times did you see others in the water and think, "yep, I can do this!" The point is not only seeing others, it is learning by doing. Sure you can watch a video and armchair what you THINK you would do, but you have no idea how you will repsond until you are forced to. And in any class you learn that it is a far more complicated thing to get multiple people on the same page than it seems like it would be. Point is: you will never properly learn to save your life watching other peoples mistakes.

Watching that tech 1 video was great, but ultimately useless to learn from without instructor guidance, proper education in the proper protocols, and actually going through classes that teach you what you need to know.

How many times do I need to practice and how much intructor guidance do I need to realize that dropping my active reel, while trying to save backgas that my buddy already carries for me (1/3 rule), is not a good move? Do I really need an instructor to understand the value of 10' knots in my ascent line in case of a "double-blinded" ascent?

Does that knowledge enable me to properly lay a line or ascent blindly in the nice trim of the deco captain in the video?

There are things that you have to 'get' and other things that you need to practice.

Understanding what got people on this list may not - in itself - make you a better pilot, but not following their example will certainly increase your odds of becoming an older pilot.

Last edited:
Update - In the GUE "My Files" folder is a same-named FundamentalsEnglishImperial.zip, but now there are two new files in that zip file: SOP Manual and Valve Failures.

Thanks to whoever pointed out that there was new material!

UTD course videos are only to be posted publically if the entire class agrees. The class paid for the experience, if they want to post it the agency isn't going to stand in the way based on a blanket no distribution "policy".

Most students don't ask for them in my experience filming (and out of trim at that :D).

I wanted my fundies video but they wouldn't let me have it :(

How many times do I need to practice and how much intructor guidance do I need to realize that dropping my active reel, while trying to save backgas that my buddy already carries for me (1/3 rule), is not a good move? Do I really need an instructor to understand the value of 10' knots in my ascent line in case of a "double-blinded" ascent?

Does that knowledge enable me to properly lay a line or ascent blindly in the nice trim of the deco captain in the video?

There are things that you have to 'get' and other things that you need to practice.

Understanding what got people on this list may not - in itself - make you a better pilot, but not following their example will certainly increase your odds of becoming an older pilot.

I'm not sure of the point your are trying to make, but.....

having certain things recommended as a good idea and actually experiencing the benefits can be two different things.

For example knots at 10ft intervals sounds good.

Feeling for these same knots while ascending sans mask drives the point home.

Tobin

Oh, I think my Fundies videos would be hysterical to watch now. We were SO hopeless. The moment when Steve came over my shoulder with his reg out of his mouth, blowing bubbles and VIOLENTLY signaling out of air, is burned in my memory forever!

The look on one of my buddy's face, when I was actually OOA on the last ascent exercise of the dive (trying to squeeze in one last exercise so my team mates could pass :shakehead:) was priceless! I knew it was coming, my instructor knew it was coming, but my buddy was sure surprised. :wink:

I for one am very glad those films never left the room after our reviews!!! :shakehead: :idk: Just KNOWING how bad I did, and seeing it proven, was enough humiliation for me! Don't need to find those images looped forever on the internet. :no:

The look on one of my buddy's face, when I was actually OOA on the last ascent exercise of the dive (trying to squeeze in one last exercise so my team mates could pass :shakehead:) was priceless! I knew it was coming, my instructor knew it was coming, but my buddy was sure surprised. :wink:

I for one am very glad those films never left the room after our reviews!!! :shakehead: :idk: Just KNOWING how bad I did, and seeing it proven, was enough humiliation for me! Don't need to find those images looped forever on the internet. :no:

and that sums up nicely why we don't release them. At the time everyone can have a laugh about them. Seeing them on you tube a few years later when you find them embarrassing would be unfortunate as there's nothing you can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom