My Twin Pst E Series 130s Are Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twin 130s-time to put the chiropractor on speed dial

Hey, I just tried mine out last weekend! They dove like a dream and I plan to use them for tri-mix dives. At that depth, breathing gas is like ammuntion to a soldier... you can not have too much breathing gas at 200 ft.

And yes, I can schlep them around with only a minor grunt.

By first making several trips to the gym!

hoosier:
But, when you get out of the water, how do you handle it?

Dan Gibson:

Exactly, although any exercise that provides leg strength is good too, such as bicycling or mountain biking or jogging. Squats with about 150 lbs works best, which is a fairly light amount for the squat exercise, since I can military press 150 on a good day as well. Dead lifting about 200 to 250 lbs is a great overall exercise for your back, as long as you take it slow.

With practice, by working up to it, you should be able to dead lift or squat your own body weight, military press or bench press about 2/3 of your body weight, curl about 1/2 of your body weight, etc. I have seen people at the gym who can do more than their own body weight as well however.

If your tanks truly weigh too much for you, then you can always inflate the wing and put them into the water, and get into them while in the water. A snorkel helps, and you can toss the snorkel back into the boat once the tanks and bottles are all attached.

diverbrian:
Hey, I just tried mine out last weekend! They dove like a dream and I plan to use them for tri-mix dives. At that depth, breathing gas is like ammuntion to a soldier... you can not have too much breathing gas at 200 ft.

And yes, I can schlep them around with only a minor grunt.

Well you live in the perfect state for diving with large twin tanks, MICHIGAN (good football schools too!)

For me, 200 ft is where I receive the maximum benefit of twin 130s. At that depth with my RMV-SCR, and adhering to the rule of thirds, twin 130s give me 30 mins of bottom time. I am sure in Michigan that 30 mins would seem to pass really fast!

Here are the consumption volumes for 200 ft at my rate of use:

178.5 cu ft Trimix 20.0/40.0
24.1 cu ft Nitrox 50.0
17.8 cu ft Oxygen
220.4 cu ft TOTAL

For any depth shallower than 300 ft I would instead use my twin 72s.

What size tanks you get depends on your (and your buddy's) RMV-SCR and the depths to which you normally dive. For me, twin 72s are best for less than 200 ft and the twin 130s are best for 200 or deeper.

If all you could afford is one set of twin tanks, and all you ever dive to is 150 to 175 ft, then I would recommend the twin 72s. If to 200 ft or more, then definitely twin 130s. Of course, these are Michigan/North Carolina/Texas/California issues.

I do not see a lot of sense in the choices of twin 95s, twin 100s, or twin 120s, now that the 130s are available.

In the Florida caves, its a whole different matter of tank size choice however.

I take your point. I couldn't exercise that much after getting hurt my elbow.
I should work out more frequently or get into the martial art again.

Dan Gibson:

triton94949:
Well you live in the perfect state for diving with large twin tanks, MICHIGAN (good football schools too!)

For me, 200 ft is where I receive the maximum benefit of twin 130s. At that depth with my RMV-SCR, and adhering to the rule of thirds, twin 130s give me 30 mins of bottom time. I am sure in Michigan that 30 mins would seem to pass really fast!

Here are the consumption volumes for 200 ft at my rate of use:

178.5 cu ft Trimix 20.0/40.0
24.1 cu ft Nitrox 50.0
17.8 cu ft Oxygen
220.4 cu ft TOTAL

For any depth shallower than 300 ft I would instead use my twin 72s.

What size tanks you get depends on your (and your buddy's) RMV-SCR and the depths to which you normally dive. For me, twin 72s are best for less than 200 ft and the twin 130s are best for 200 or deeper.

If all you could afford is one set of twin tanks, and all you ever dive to is 150 to 175 ft, then I would recommend the twin 72s. If to 200 ft or more, then definitely twin 130s. Of course, these are Michigan/North Carolina/Texas/California issues.

I do not see a lot of sense in the choices of twin 95s, twin 100s, or twin 120s, now that the 130s are available.

In the Florida caves, its a whole different matter of tank size choice however.

I was going to say something and then remembered that I took a single 120 (H-Valve) to 150 ft. on the stern of the Forest City last year. That was the perfect amount of gas with an EAN50 for deco gas. Double 72's would be close in capacity to that. I have two sets of doubles. I have double HP100's and then bought the 130's for when I decided to go to tri-mix.

I agree. The Great Lakes are an ideal spot to use mix! :)

hoosier:
Ior get into the marshal art again.

I hope you mean martial arts?

Anyway, how would compensate with those babies on? Bigger wing (if BP/Wing are used)?

LOL... typo error. Thanks for your pointing out.

I mean Tae-Kwon Do......

Anyway, I used to dive with the double AL 80s. But, I don't try the double 130s yet. As I excused, the double AL80s made me feel heavy at this moment. I might try the double 130s this weekend in the independent mode if my SP BCD can hold it.

For the permanent double setup, it should go with the large (more than 50 lb) wing. I am in the market for BP/W set up right now.

cmgmg:
I hope you mean martial arts?

Anyway, how would compensate with those babies on? Bigger wing (if BP/Wing are used)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom