My troubles with hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knuhol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello divers!

A long story short; my first dive hood was a wrong size (too big) Mares something 5 mm. I experienced no jaw fatigue when using it but if was damn cold experience. So I changed it to Bare Ultrawarm 7 mm which was a way wormer, however I started to have problems with jaw fatigue. That improved a bit after about 50 dives so I kept using it, until...

Everybody around me was talking high about K01 hoods. So I told myself ok man, they look super nice and cosy, having very good reputation, let's spend 235 euros on 8 mm MTM personalised one.

Design and material are really lovely and everybody on boat is envy when they see the hood. BUT! Jaw fatigue at the beginning was just insane. I hoped it will improve over time because that happened with the Bare hood as well and yeah, I think it is better and better with every dive.
However, the completely new experience for me is that I started having problems with ear equalization. I never had any problems with that before the K01 hood; learned how to do Frenzel during my OW class and was just doing it, no problems so far during first 200+ dives. With K01 hood, I need to do super slow descends, sometimes return a bit up and push Valsalva or let the water in into the hood.

I need to say except the design and soft material I totally hate the K01 hood; jaw fatigue, problems with ear equalization, cold becuase of need to keep letting the water in. The only reason why I haven't thrown it away yet is because it was so damn expensive and since it is personalised and there is no chance for selling it, I still hope it will improve over time.

I would like to know your opinion on the following:
1) Is there any chance the hood will stretch a bit more over time so the jaw fatigue & problems with ear equalization will disapper?
2) What other hood would you recommend me to try? I have very small head (56 cm) and dive regularly in water temperatures between 0-2 degrees in winter and in about 6 degrees in summer. Is there some good warm hood or is it better to compromise warm over a good fit?
3) What is the best way of trying hoods in corona times? How do dive shops approach this? I don't want to buy another hood online without trying it.

Thanks for any advice and please don't tell me I am stupid for buying a crazy expensive personalised hood of a brand I had no experience with; lesson learned, will never do it again :-D

I quit diving hoods a long time ago, I have been diving 3/5 mm hooded vest for many years. It is both very comfortable and warm. They make a 7/5 mm hooded vest, been thinking about getting one for colder water.

I use a small soldering iron and burn holes for equalizing ease.

@knuhhave you reached out to the folks at K01 and told them about the issues that you are having?

They might have specific instructions on how to stretch it to deal with the jaw fatigue or even be able to make modifications to accommodate the issues that you are having.

Like this

302 zzzzmichelangelo-adam-creation-adam-fresco-6509125.jpg

Almost everyone I know, including myself and gf, dive with a Waterproof brand hood. I use the 5/10mm with bib. I’ve never experienced any jaw fatigue so I cannot relate. For reference, I’m 59cm and my gf is 55cm.

Hello divers!

A long story short; my first dive hood was a wrong size (too big) Mares something 5 mm. I experienced no jaw fatigue when using it but if was damn cold experience. So I changed it to Bare Ultrawarm 7 mm which was a way wormer, however I started to have problems with jaw fatigue. That improved a bit after about 50 dives so I kept using it, until...

Everybody around me was talking high about K01 hoods. So I told myself ok man, they look super nice and cosy, having very good reputation, let's spend 235 euros on 8 mm MTM personalised one.

Design and material are really lovely and everybody on boat is envy when they see the hood. BUT! Jaw fatigue at the beginning was just insane. I hoped it will improve over time because that happened with the Bare hood as well and yeah, I think it is better and better with every dive.
However, the completely new experience for me is that I started having problems with ear equalization. I never had any problems with that before the K01 hood; learned how to do Frenzel during my OW class and was just doing it, no problems so far during first 200+ dives. With K01 hood, I need to do super slow descends, sometimes return a bit up and push Valsalva or let the water in into the hood.

I need to say except the design and soft material I totally hate the K01 hood; jaw fatigue, problems with ear equalization, cold becuase of need to keep letting the water in. The only reason why I haven't thrown it away yet is because it was so damn expensive and since it is personalised and there is no chance for selling it, I still hope it will improve over time.

I would like to know your opinion on the following:
1) Is there any chance the hood will stretch a bit more over time so the jaw fatigue & problems with ear equalization will disapper?
2) What other hood would you recommend me to try? I have very small head (56 cm) and dive regularly in water temperatures between 0-2 degrees in winter and in about 6 degrees in summer. Is there some good warm hood or is it better to compromise warm over a good fit?
3) What is the best way of trying hoods in corona times? How do dive shops approach this? I don't want to buy another hood online without trying it.

Thanks for any advice and please don't tell me I am stupid for buying a crazy expensive personalised hood of a brand I had no experience with; lesson learned, will never do it again :-D
I have a K01 hood from 2017 and have the same issue with jaw fatigue. I only wear it on deep dives now for the extra warmth. I have heard that the company redesigned the the hood to address this issue but don't have any first hand experience. I use a Seasoft 6mm Ti Pro Hood the rest of the time and it is very comfortable.

I have thought about having the hood customized by adding a small strip on neoprene along the stitching from the neck to the jaw line to increase room / comfort.

I had some bad fitting hoods aswell.
The old santi hood felt like she breaks my jaw.

Now i got the 10mm waterproof and i love it. Fits good and is warm.

I switched from the waterproof 5/10 to the Bare Ultrawarmth 7mm. I find the Bare more comfortable and just as warm if not warmer.

Neoprene will stretch over time with use. Have you considered trying a latex dry hood?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom