My Top List of Tech Computers 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OSTC 3 looks hardcore and really well build.

Nice writeup Andy

You have an incorrect depth rating for the Petrel, it should be 300m (for “crush depth”) compared to 260m for the Perdix.

Helpfully you've tried to block copy/paste on your site for reasons I can't fathom.

You have an incorrect depth rating for the Petrel, it should be 300m (for “crush depth”) compared to 260m for the Perdix.

Helpfully you've tried to block copy/paste on your site for reasons I can't fathom.

Was aware of the crush depth, but the depth sensor accuracy depth is what I listed. That's direct from Shearwater's site/manuals.

Was aware of the crush depth, but the depth sensor accuracy depth is what I listed. That's direct from Shearwater's site/manuals.

To quote Shearwater directly:

The guaranteed depth accuracy range is to 130 msw / 425 fsw [...] It is designed to withstand pressures up to 30 Bar (290 msw / 950 fsw) [...] The Perdix case is rated to a crushing pressure of 260 msw / 850 fsw [...] The Petrel is rated to a crushing pressure of 300 msw / 985 fsw
The numbers you list for one of the two is wrong. Also the Perdix and Petrel 2 manuals list individually a depth range for the sensor and a crush depth for the actual housing.

The numbers you list for one of the two is wrong. Also the Perdix and Petrel 2 manuals list individually a depth range for the sensor and a crush depth for the actual housing.

Got it.... and thanks.... that needed an edit. I've listed both depths now.

Again... you've got to admire Shearwater for their transparency. Wonder what the 'depth ratings' for other computers actually represent.. crush depth or sensor accuracy. In my mind... for technical diving... sensor accuracy is what counts.

Again... you've got to admire Shearwater for their transparency. Wonder what the 'depth ratings' for other computers actually represent.. crush depth or sensor accuracy. In my mind... for technical diving... sensor accuracy is what counts.

Shearwater does a lot of things right. Even their bugfix releases notes are clear about not only what was fixed but why it was wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom