my tank hits my head when im underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your octopus should probably be clipped down around the front, right, lower part of your BC (unless you're DIR). Do you mean your first stage? If so, maybe your tank is sitting too high in your BC.

As WileEDiver said, it sounds more like your first stage hitting your head. If so, adjust your tank position on the BCD or ensure a tighter fit on the BCD. When diving with my SP Classic I used to have the problem of BCD "meandering" as I shifted position. Now I diuve more with my SP X-Tek which gives a very nice, tight fit with no perceptible tank movement at all. A benefit of BP/wings as well.

Dr. Bill

Yep, it happened to me. I slip my BC over the tank and down thinking I'd have a more secure cinch on the tank. Wrong: tank just too high.

Then I learned that if I'd wet the BC strap, and get it good and tight, I didn't need to slip it down. Just strap the tank lower on the BC, I think.

I used to dive with Ranger and while trying to get my trim proper I kept moving up my tank to position the weight more up than down since I was consistently in feet down position. With the tank higher I was bothered by that same predicament. This lead me to buy weight pockets and finally a BP&Wings which is "my" answer for my trim problems.

Are you trying to compensate for a trim problem?

ABQdiver once bubbled...
I used to dive with Ranger and while trying to get my trim proper I kept moving up my tank to position the weight more up than down since I was consistently in feet down position. With the tank higher I was bothered by that same predicament. This lead me to buy weight pockets and finally a BP&Wings which is "my" answer for my trim problems.

Are you trying to compensate for a trim problem?

...What he said. I came to the same conclusion too.

sorry guys im new, i dont know what trim means or what wings are. but ur right it is the first stage that hits me. i have my tank as low as i can i think. there is a 2 straps and a piece that goes over the second stage. i have it as low as i can with all pieces right. i am considering a new vest. could the fact that i am a large in a medium vest have anything to do with it. thanks. ps what is a vest under 250, for lake diving

I think we've just solved the riddle of why BP&W-ers are so buff.

They stay in shape by jumping to conclusions.:)

<Sorry guys, couldn't resist. Dont take it personally.>

GLENNsim once bubbled...
sorry guys im new, i dont know what trim means or what wings are. but ur right it is the first stage that hits me. i have my tank as low as i can i think. there is a 2 straps and a piece that goes over the second stage. i have it as low as i can with all pieces right. i am considering a new vest. could the fact that i am a large in a medium vest have anything to do with it. thanks. ps what is a vest under 250, for lake diving

I too am a large. As far as girth, I could fit in a medium, but it would be to short and could cause the problem you are having due to not being able to have the BC ride low enough. If this is the case, try getting a large BC and a medium or adjustable cumberbund.

As far as BC's (jacket style) for $250 or less, there are several good ones. My choice would be Dacor Nautica, around $175.

Where are you located? Can you go back to where you bought it and explain the problem? Try to get them to let you try other BC's. Some LDS might even take your BC on trade and put it in their rental/training inventory. You would still have to come up with some $$, but may be able to get more BC that way.

GLENNsim once bubbled...
There is a 2 straps and a piece that goes over the second stage. i have it as low as i can with all pieces right.
This is not uncommon for 2 strap BC's, in order to accomodate two straps the second is higher than a single strap would be and it can be impossible to get it high enough on the tank.

I had a similar problem with my IDC back inflation BC, but eventually figured how to remove and relocate the top strap to a lower position. It was not self evident.

Best solution is take it back to the shop and have them help you adjust it if possible.

Back
Top Bottom