My Stage Diving Strategy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
With the recent incident I want to post on the topic of stage diving. How I learned to stage dive and how I have managed my stage diving for the last couple of decades are very different. There are multiple ways to approach stage diving and I won?t attempt to discuss them all. I?ll discuss the two methods that I learned and the reason I don?t use them. I will then present my method to stage diving with an explanation of why I do it the way that I do.

The first method of stage diving, that I have not used, is half plus two. This approach to stage diving leaves the majority of reserve (emergency) gas in the primary cylinders which we will call back gas (BG) regardless of a diver?s actual configuration. ?+2 is simple in its approach however leaves the real possibility of a simple math error opening the door for a diver or team to miscalculate with the possible result of death. ?+2, for stage diving, simply takes a stage cylinders start pressure divided in half with 200 psi added to that number. This is the pressure that the stage is breathed to before shutting off the stage and dropping it. The extra gas that is used from the stage, in relation to thirds, is then kept as reserve in the BG. To do this the pressure of the gas needs to be converted to cubic feet in both the BG and the stage. Then the extra cubic feet of gas is added back to the BG resulting in less gas used or to put it another way, a higher turn pressure than the thirds turn pressure. The reason that I have not used this method personally is that I have always approached my diving with the mind set of keeping everything as simple as possible, I subscribe to the KISS methodology. Converting back and forth between psi and cubic feet between different cylinder sizes is simple math however it also opens the door to making simple math errors. Even if the same cylinders are used for both BG & stages the turn pressure numbers, when using ?+2 are very different opening the possibility for a simple mistake. This most recent incident fits this scenario. I?m not saying that this is what happened in this situation however it is a possible factor.

The second method is simple thirds. Breath a stage down to a third, shut it down, and drop it. This is a simpler approach that requires less math resulting in less opportunity for simple math errors. The issue with this approach is that 2/3?s of the gas required for a normal exit, for where the stage is dropped, is left in the cylinder. There have been multiple fatalities that the diver was very close to reaching a dropped stage when they ran out of gas.

My approach to stage diving is to use time and thirds to control when I shut down a stage and when I drop it. The stage is breathed down to a third and shut down, if it took 20 minutes to breath that third then the stage is swam another 20 minutes before it is dropped and a minimum of 100 psi is added to the reserve of back gas. This puts the stage at the farthest point of penetration to be useful and adds reserve to the back gas. When the stage is reached it is used at the point it is picked up to keep the reserve of back gas. If there are no problems then the stage will be shut down at 200 psi and back gas is used for the rest of the exit. If there has been an issue that puts the exit in question, then the stage is breathed until empty and discarded to preserve back gas as much as possible, which will also contribute to maintaining buoyancy and not becoming over positively buoyant. When there is a question regarding having enough gas to exit, discarding an empty stage reduces work load improving the odds of reaching the exit. Empty stages can be recovered at a later date and the cost of a stage is not worth dying over, IMHO.

Real application of this method results in added conservatism and safety for the stage dive. By swimming the stage farther than it is breathed the slight amount of added drag (not considering a siphon dive) gives a larger reserve of gas and ads to the conservatism. Actual dives normally result with gas left in the stage, with it being breathed all the way to the exit or arriving at deco where a switch to decompression gas happens. Multiple stage dives result in increased reserve gas and conservatism. For each stage a minimum of 100 psi is added to reserve gas and each stage is dropped at the maximum useful penetration. I have had situations where the dive did not go as planned and reaching the stage sooner rather than later makes a positive psychological impact, which alone can be the difference between just a dive that didn?t go well and a catastrophic incident.

The same as with any dive there are a lot of factors that may impact conservatism. It is simple to add another 100 psi to BG or stages to increase reserves for added conservatism. Thirds is only a method for calculation, for me, actually using an entire third is something that I don?t do. Every dive is turned with extra reserve even if I have done the particular dive hundreds of times and know the system thoroughly. If 3600 psi is my fill pressure and 2400 psi is my 1/3 turn pressure then 2500 psi is a bare minimum turn pressure, for me, with 2600 being my usual turn pressure, in systems that I know very well. Add a stage and a second 100 psi is added to my normal turn pressure.

Some will feel this is overly conservative and I?m fine with that. I?ve found that conservatism in overhead diving has been good for me and I?m OK with turning a dive earlier than others would. I have over the years pushed things to, what I consider, my limits. I?ve had things go wrong and have had to deal with and sort through issues. My conservative approach has gotten me through those situations. Divers with a lot of skill and experience have also not survived situations and some of them were very close to reaching their staged gas. However anyone decides to approach their stage diving, please evaluate and consider reserves and your level of conservatism.

Nice, informative post, Bobby.

That was a clear as one of your lights! Good job!!!

onverting back and forth between psi and cubic feet between different cylinder sizes is simple math however it also opens the door to making simple math errors.

Metric - CylinderSize/BAR?

Thanks for sharing. As a new stage diver I'm keen to hear about different methods. I was taught the half plus xx, as well as just using thirds. And I am happy with half plus 15 (bar).
I can see your method is conservative (a good thing) and have no problem with it. But it does involve carrying a stage farther than conventional methods (extra work, and an issue especially if there are smallish restrictions) and with more than one stage you end up with a 2/3 full stage in normal circumstances, which is a bit annoying, compared to two nearly empty stages with the half plus whatever.
Other than the maths (which is pretty easy, especially if you're always diving with the same gear), are there situations where you believe half plus is inadequate?

Thanks Bobby. The most important thing is conservative gas management for all your gas supply, and not using the stage as means of "fudging" to increase distance. 1/3rds is extremely liberal, and even Sheck is noted as saying that in a true max penetration, gas sharing scenario, survival on 1/3rds is minimal.

One thing I would add is a stage is a handy tool when diving with an unknown entity. Sometimes when I would guide someone that I was unsure of, I would carry a stage as a safety. If something went wrong, I would rather hand someone a stage, than have them connected to me by a long hose, especially if scooters or small cave is part of the dive plan.

Thanks for sharing. As a new stage diver I'm keen to hear about different methods. I was taught the half plus xx, as well as just using thirds. And I am happy with half plus 15 (bar).
I can see your method is conservative (a good thing) and have no problem with it. But it does involve carrying a stage farther than conventional methods (extra work, and an issue especially if there are smallish restrictions)

There are dives that we will wind up dropping early due to restrictions, the passage often dictates where to drop a stage. If at all possible we do try to drop stages past a restriction. An example is the Spring Tunnel in P3. We are still dropping the stage early however we jump first and get through the bedding plane before we drop. If anything went wrong during the dive it would be reassuring to get on the stage before exiting the bedding plane rather than after.

and with more than one stage you end up with a 2/3 full stage in normal circumstances, which is a bit annoying, compared to two nearly empty stages with the half plus whatever.

The way that we manage our stages we have nearly empty stages with multiple staging as well. The only difference is that we are swimming the stages while not breathing them. This adds conservatism and gives us an alternate gas source while swimming them and sooner if returning to them.

Other than the maths (which is pretty easy, especially if you're always diving with the same gear), are there situations where you believe half plus is inadequate?

I wouldn't call 1/2+2 inadequate, I would say it has the opportunity to easily make a mistake and not have enough gas for the exit. Another benefit of swimming the stage, while it is not being breathed is that with practice, the second stage can be stowed and the stage removed when getting to the time to drop while swimming making the drop smooth with virtually no stopping and waiting while dealing with these things just after shutting the stage down. When I dive with others that manage their stage diving one of the other two ways they burn through gas while getting the second stage stowed, unclipping the stage, and dropping it. I do all that while still swimming and only come to a full stop when the drop spot is tricky for one reason or another.

If we are going to discount 1/2 plus 200 because of "a simple math mistake" then we might as well discourage/not allow dissimilar tanks from diving together because the principles are the same. Call me an optimist, but I have to have more faith in the ability of a full-cave diver.

There are two primary decisions that need to be made before each dive when diving a stage:

1. Stage Gas Rule Used
2. Drop or Not to Drop

The factors that play into those two decisions include:
Environmental--Is there delicate cave or restrictions that makes carrying the stage an issue? Is there a lot of flow?

Personal preference-How many failures do I plan for at max penetration? How comfortable are you leaving the stage?
Unless there is an environmental factor to consider, it is my personal preference to always keep one stage with me at all times. If I have multiple stages, I will drop the rest, but always keep one with me. Not dropping a single stage also seems to be a habit of solo cave divers (even when diving in buddy teams).

Dive plan specific-Are we doing a circuit/traverse? Are we doing an extended dive down multiple tunnels and we plan on dropping a full stage for later use on the dive?

Stage Gas Rules:
1. 1/3rds
Taught in all stage classes and is probably the standard used in Florida. Thirds is the simplest rule to employ, but it is also the most inefficient, especially when used with multiple stages because it traps a third of the gas in the tank at the end of the dive.

Plan for 1 Gas failure: Use BG thirds to make it back to stages and exit
Plan for 2nd Gas failure (broken/lost stage): Team of two each breathes 1/3 of total stage volume to exit--essentially buddy breathing

2. 1/2 plus 200 or (1/2 +15 Bar if using metric) w/ thirds rules
A modification on what is essentially thirds diving. Takes the volume (300PSI or 20 Bar) that was breathed past thirds and takes the volume out of back gas. In the case of LP108s and a single stage. 300PSI = 7.5cuft which is 100 PSI in double LP108s. Take 100 PSI out of starting pressure and recalculate thirds.

Plan for 2nd Gas failure (broken/lost stage): Team of two: Buddy with back gas breathes the back gas reserve plus his share of stage, OOA buddy breathes his 1/3 of stage to exit. In the LP108s example. OOA buddy breathes 1000PSI, buddy with working doubles buddy breathes 700 PSI plus 100 PSI of backgas.

3. 1/2 plus 200 or (1/2 +15 Bar if using metric)
Take the volume breathed from the stage, subtract it from back gas, recalculate thirds. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for multiple stages, then calculate thirds.
In an LP108s example: 1300 PSI breathed out of stage is 32.5cuft which is ~400 PSI, but I like to call it 500. I like to use 500 because it blends in well with 500 PSI Min Gas and adds a little something for SPG error, gas switch, what have you. 3600-500 = 3100, round down 3000, 1000 Useable gas, turn pressure is 2600

Plan for 2nd Gas failure (broken/lost stage): Team of two: Buddy with back gas breathes the back gas reserve to exit. OOA buddy breathes stage. Notice that 1/2 plus 200 can handle a double gas failure and still doesn't require buddy breathing. Also notice that both divers could lose their stages and still exit entirely on their own back gas.

1/2 + is my preferred method of stage diving. As the LP108 example sort of pointed out, it ends up providing the greatest reserves when you actually calculate thirds, offers greater flexibility on multi-stage dives, and more efficient (imho) use of the gas brought into the cave.

Note: I suppose 1/2 plus 200 plus 1/3rds BG diving could be a thing, but it only allows for one gas failure in a team of two. I wouldn't recommend diving it.

4. All usable
Not going to go into detail on this one, but it exists, is reasonable depending on the dive, and employs the same principles as 1/2 plus 200.

Drop/Not Drop
To Drop or Not to Drop was covered a little bit earlier in the post. I will say that when diving caves with flow (the majority of Florida) more often than not I see the stage used as an initial distance extender and then the dive team exists entirely on back gas. I myself have done this plenty as the flow causes you to exit on a fraction of the back gas it took to enter. In systems with no flow, especially in Mexico, switching back to the stage has increased importance in terms of managing where your usable gas is stored on an exit. It also plays a key role when you are trying to do two dives on the same set of doubles (again Mexico). At the very least you should drop a cookie when the "gas switch" took place.

There was a time when I would have also done the gas switch on the fly, but now I see the switch as a chance for the team to relax, get it's bearings, and continue. My full cave instructor said he liked to pause at the Lips, turn around, and assess the team/dive as far. I also pause at the Lips and I like to use the gas switch the same way. Although I will admit I am not doing these switches at 300ft on OC, I no longer care about the one min of "wasted" gas it takes to do a gas switch. If it takes longer than a minute for a team of 3 to do a gas switch, there is a skills issue, not a technique problem.

Bobby you should try 1/2+200 sometime. It makes a real difference on a deep multistage scooter dive where 1/3rds ends up leaving little bits of gas sprinkled around the cave and the drop and pickup time ends up being a significant. And you want your all reserves on your back. Removing the stages from backgas reserves is not hard at all and calculating "1/3rds" on the remaining gas is no different than making sure your dissimilar tank calculations are correct. I put thirds in quotes cause I think its a bit aggressive but lacked another benchmark

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom