My soon-to-be new setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IntotheAbyss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
New setup I just purchased today. I have been researching this stuff for a bit and feel pretty comfortable in my purchase. Oh, I wanted to post the price to show how much of a difference there was between the LDS and LP.

LP LDS
BC: Seaquest Pro QD w/ I3.....................499........655
Reg: AL Legend LX ACD..........................484........535
Octo: AL ABS.......................................89.95.....130
Computer: Suunto Vyper 2 wrist mount.....499........730
SPG: Mares Mission 1 Compact.................64
Fins: AL Slingshot..................................174
Mask: pending...

I know it adds up to more but the quoted price from LP was 1739.95 out the door. LDS was 2500 and that didn't include the SPG or the fins I wanted but did include a mask and a free advanced course but the total cost on that was only 500. So in the end looks like I came out pretty good.

Hi IntoTheAbyss,
Not bad, but I know that we, as well as other Internet Scuba Retailers could have done better, including mask and fins. My question is this - do you have a full manufacturer's warranty on all your equipment? The reason I'm asking (I know LP has their own warranty program) is if you travel and need to get your equipment serviced, you may be in for a very unpleasant surprise. If there is no manufacturer's warranty, you will either be charged full price for servicing (parts + labor) or you may be refused service and told to ship it back to your point of purchase for servicing. Locally this may not be a problem, but if you are out of the area on a dive vacation, it could be a major hassle. Not to mention having to rent equipment while having your equipment serviced where as a LDS may give you loaner gear for free during that time.
I'm NOT trying to burst your bubble, but what I said above is total reality. You have great equipment but it may unfortunately cost you more in the long run.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

Other than if I were to tell a LDS where I purchased the gear how would they know?

Other than if I were to tell a LDS where I purchased the gear how would they know?

A bigger question is if the manufacturer knows where they were purchased, why don't they do something to shut off the supply?

A bigger question is if the manufacturer knows where they were purchased, why don't they do something to shut off the supply?

This is very true. However many times gray market gear is often sold to authorized dealers who in turn sell to "others". As far as the manufacturer knows, it sold it's products properly. However sometimes, there are "backdoor" sales. Immoral maybe, but not illegal. Big bucks all the way around make it hard to catch and even harder to stop. Again, all legal.

Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

The AL regulator I bought from LP had the US warranty card in the box. The idea that LP sells used, fake, stolen gear is false.

N

If a local retail wants to refuse to do the service and not accept your business and money, just ship it back to lp or st, both will fix and service them.

But on the bright side, the mares is definitely has a warranty, LP is a Mares authorized dealer, check out mares' website. I got most of my wife's and mine gear from LP. Never had an issue and save a ton of cash. I now send all my friends to them to get gear.

PS,
Did the LDS price include the state sales taxes if there is one in your state. Because online and phone sales out of the state of NY is tax free.

Back
Top Bottom