My Seawing Novas Broke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheMic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just went to pack all of my gear up for a dive in the morning, and to my surprise my fins are broken. No the strap didn't break but the fin material at the hinge point did. I looked at both fins and the other one is tearing, and is on path to look like this one. I am not sure if this is a common problem with these fins, but not something I was happy to discover.

Seawing Novas.jpg

Welcome to the world of sea wing nova. In one year I know personally of over twenty pairs breaking belonging to friends. Even the new improved ones. Good thing is SP stands behind them.

Take them back where you bought them. Scubapro will replace them free of charge. It is a known problem and the fins have been redesigned because of it. Mine had a crack in them and they were replaced without question for no cost. I know of a couple of people that took their old design back before there was any sign of problems and they were replaced.

Very high rates of failure, as others have said the new version with the solid top hinge is supposed to have addressed the problem, time will tell I guess. I own some Gorillas so far so good but with only around 50 dives, I like them a lot but do expect them to break at some point, as long as SP replace them would keep diving them. Having said that I don't trust them enough at this stage to take them on an extended dive holiday or live-a-board. Good luck with the exchange.

Both pair, one black and one white, of the old design cracked at the hinge but were replaced by SP at no charge with the new design.

I have 10 or so students that have Novas (new design) and no failures.

My new white and my orange Novas are perfect with no issues !

Please bring any broken fins to your LDS for warranty replacement. The new hinge design has been working well overall.

I had a pair fail in the same way. I took them back to the shop. The shop owner called up SP and they gave me a replacement pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom