My PST E7-80 has an 8" diameter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you count a super AL80, no they aren't all 7.25 or 7.2.

Try standing a 7.25 inch diameter tank next to a 8.0 inch tank - the difference in diameter is visually obvious.

I just placed one of my E7-80's on our surface plate here at work and checked its diameter with a height gage and test idicator of .0005" resolution.

The observed diameter is 7.3005".

The surface plate and gages are within their calibration period.

The Kraken:
I just placed one of my E7-80's on our surface plate here at work and checked its diameter with a height gage and test idicator of .0005" resolution.

The plot thickens...

The Kraken:

Rotate the tank and see if it changes...steel tanks aren't perfectly round. Although I wonder if it could be 'lopsided' by 5/100 inch.

I would but the decals would interfere with the diametric dimensions given, thus invalidating the observation.

An out of round condition does not reflect a non-confromance in overall diameter. One can have an object with a circumference that exactly that which is correct for a given diameter, but the diameter at any give point can vary significantly.

.010" would probably be an acceptable out of round condition. Keep in mind, however, that .010" is about the thickness of 3 pieces of notebook paper laid one on top of the other. It's a far cry from the .700" difference mentioned.

Are you people seriously concerned about 1/20th of an inch? 7.2, 7.3, 7.25...it's really all the same, especially when you consider that tanks expand very slightly when full vs empty.

3 pages about the diameter of an E7-80...holy moly....

Back
Top Bottom