My PST E7-80 has an 8" diameter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so I thought all PST E7 series had a 7.2" diameter and all E8 series had a 8" diameter. At least that is what www.pressedsteel.com says. I measured the circumference of the E7-80 and it measured 23.5 inches. Divide that by pi(3.14) and you get 8". To make sure I didnt screw up, I did the same thing to my AL80 tank. And sure enough 8" also. Am I doing something wrong?? What gives?

huh? 23.5 / pi (3.141592654) is 7.48, not 8.

7.25" x pi = 22.75"
8" x pi = 25.1"

You're closer to the 22.75" diameter than the 25.1" diameter, it's probable that your measurement was slightly out. A pair of calipers would be the best way (if you had them).

gerardnealon:
OK, so I thought all PST E7 series had a 7.2" diameter and all E8 series had a 8" diameter. At least that is what www.pressedsteel.com says. I measured the circumference of the E7-80 and it measured 23.5 inches. Divide that by pi(3.14) and you get 8". To make sure I didnt screw up, I did the same thing to my AL80 tank. And sure enough 8" also. Am I doing something wrong?? What gives?

I come up with ~7.48, which still isn't quite right, but could be due to innacuracy in measuring circumference? Circumference should be about 22.6.

I got a C in geometry, by the way, so I can't believe I'm even responding to this.

By the way, why don't you just measure the diameter of the tank if you're curious? Measuring the circumference seems like a more difficult thing to measure....

Scubaroo:

7.25" x pi = 22.75"
8" x pi = 25.1"

You're closer to the 22.75" diameter than the 25.1" diameter, it's probable that your measurement was slightly out. A pair of calipers would be the best way (if you had them).

ya know, i didnt carry pi out that far when calculating. Maybe I would be better off taking the boot off and measuring that way. I cant not see the difference with my eye, neither can anyone else I ask. hehe, you can tell I was bored... measuring my tanks!!

D_O_H:
By the way, why don't you just measure the diameter of the tank if you're curious? Measuring the circumference seems like a more difficult thing to measure....

I think its a lot harder to measure the diameter of a tank, how would you do it. The only way I can think of would be to measure the tank boot. Unless you have a caliper (sp? is that right?).

Scubaroo:

7.25" x pi = 22.75"
8" x pi = 25.1"

hahahah, my calculator rounded up to the nearest integer for some reason. Ohh well... I remeasure and remeasure never getting anything less than 23"

gerardnealon:
I think its a lot harder to measure the diameter of a tank, how would you do it. The only way I can think of would be to measure the tank boot. Unless you have a caliper (sp? is that right?).

Remove the boot or measure the diameter of the aluminim tank you're getting the same circumference from (which presumably doesn't have a boot).

D_O_H:
Remove the boot or measure the diameter of the aluminim tank you're getting the same circumference from (which presumably doesn't have a boot).

I think that boot/no boot is an issue for another thread, but sure Ill remove the boot I "don't have" on the tank and measure it. Hang tight.

gerardnealon:
I think that boot/no boot is an issue for another thread, but sure Ill remove the boot I "don't have" on the tank and measure it. Hang tight.

AL80 boot diameter is 7.25 Which probably makes the tank diameter around 7.2 I thought AL80's all have an 8" diameter

Back
Top Bottom